Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Need Headlight help - 1993 Loyale

Hey everybody,

I searched first and found some possible answers but I wanted to ask the experts.  I bought a 93 Loyale FWD for my son.  So far I have replaced both front axles, brake pads and rotors and bearings.  She drives great although I still have a knocking in the front dif area but that is not why I am writing this.  

His headlights were only working on high beam so I thought  - well it may be possible that both low beam filaments are out but this morning the high beams would turn on either then 15 seconds after start up came on.  Is this the relay?  The sockets?  Does anybody have a best place to start suggestion?

By the way, I also put on new tires and it suddenly had severe torque steer.  I took it back and told the kid working there the tire was defective off the rack, he didn't believe me so I let him drive it, then had him swap the front tires and magically the torque pull switched sides.  He started to try to explain how, through the manufacturing of radials, this is totally natural and that we just needed to swap the front tires to the back...Right before I was about to lose it the manager came outside, took out his pocket knife and jammed the side of the bad tire.  He then said oh, looks like you have some road damage, we will replace it right away.  He then chewed the kid out as they walked in the shop.  Geeze.

I believe that the Headlights' issue is due to worn relays; in that case, you can find the answers and photos regarding how to fix that, Swapping the Regular round Relays, with Regular Bosch style ones, on the following writeup:

~► http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/topic/87523-how-to-swap-the-old-roundie-relays-with-standard-bosch-relays/

Kind Regards.

• Like 3

On the knocking issue....   could be bad shocks/struts.     I had some 'knocking' .... turned out to be the 30 year-old shocks.   I replaced all 4 on my '85 Loyale.   Also replaced tie rods and ball joints up front.  Drives like a dream, now.

• Like 1

I had a similar problem with my headlights returning from a trip at night.  First only the bright lights worked (both lights) and then the headlights shut off and I couldn't get them to come back on.  Had to have AAA tow the vehicle home.  Eventually I discovered the alternator was failing or intermittent, etc.  I recall also that some of my gauges (I forget which) were also strangely jumping around.  One of the connections to the alternator was charred and fried.  Replaced my alternator (with a used alternator from a parts car I had previously) and the problem was fixed.  Good luck on your repairs!  Cheers, Aaron 

and GREAT write up on the relays JesZek!!!  Thank you.

Edited by two85s

It has been my experience with the Hitachi alternators that the brushes last about 150,000 miles. The failure shows up gradually until the battery is so low on charge the car won't start. Alternator light didn't come on. Once I caught one when the light was glowing very dimly at night, before I switched on the lights.

You can obtain the round relays for a direct plug-in replacement. Don't go to a dealer though as they want $35 each. Instead, Google the number on the side of the relay. I did this and found a supplier for $8 each. Not as cheap as the square ones but not so much more either.