Ultimate Subaru Message Board

i have a 95 legacy wagon with very bad rust issues in the back i have recently been searching the craigslist for another 95-99 legacy but im searching for the car version vs the wagon i have now and im also shooting for a standard. im searching for cars that need an engine as well with the thoghts of swapping my good running 2.2 into it and using the manual transmission instead of the automatic i have now. would there be any cars i could not do this swap with am i going to run into issues using an automatic engine with a manual? i have never done a swap myself but i am very mechanically inclined and have garage space + my brothers help who is a mechanic.

Your 95 long block will fit any legacy, legacy outback, or impreza from 90-99 IIRC

You may need to swap intakes and y-pipes depending on the car its going in, but for the most part you have a very large selection.

Hi,

Just to clarify....'96-'99 Legacy OB/GT (2.5), '95-'98 Legacy L/Brighton (2.2), '95(2.2 only)-'98 Impeza, '98 Forester. You'll need your DUAL port exhaust y-pipe off the heads (header), but it'll bolt up to any of the other exhausts.

The '99 Legacy L, and Impreza had a Phase 2, 2.2 and are not (easily) compatible w/your engine electronically.

You could put it in the earlier models, but you'll need use the intake manifold that matches the car.

And '95 Autos were EGR-equipped, which is a GOOD thing as it'll work in cars with or w/out EGR.

There are some gotchas so keep searching to find more info. Your brother should know what you'll need to add to your engine to use it w/a 5-speed (FW, pilot bearing, etc.).

GL,

TD

• Like 1

If you swap into a manual car, I'd recommend installing a new clutch, throw out bearing, and cleaning the flywheel surface while engine is out, as you'll probably never have to worry about it for 100k+ miles.

What rust are you talking about? Are you referring to the rear cross member? If that's rusted, it's super easy to replace. My 95' Wagon had completely rotted and broken rear cross member, and rear hatch had a rust hole near the license plate.

I paid $15 for a used cross member that came out of a very high mileage wagon that someone had installed a brand new cross member in (doubt it'd been in the car for more than a year tops, and might have come from the south), so $15 was a steal. Took several hours to swap it over.

Think I paid $45 for a rust-free hatch that was complete.

If you are talking about the rear body section where it connects near the bumper cover, you might find a body shop that can repair it for a good price.

automatic/manual is inconsequential, it doesn't matter.  you can swap auto and manual ECU's - doesn't matter.  

1999 is an odd year with two different engine variants.  one of those engines is not easily interchanged with yours. 

to clarify - do not get a 1999 impreza, 1999 forester, or 1999 Legacy with 2.2.  1999 Legacy or Outback with 2.5 is fine, just not 2.2.  

Any other 1995-1999 4 cylinder Subaru will be fine.

1996-1999's you'll need to also swap your exhaust manifold.

you can also use EJ18 or earlier 90-94 vehicles as well....but they're mostly rusted away by now around these parts. 

• Like 1