Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Fuel pump I got at Auto Zone is much smaller than what ended up being in the car, which appears to have never been replaced before. Also, the replacement has a socket for the wiring, whereas the factory pump has separate wire lug posts.

Is this normal? Kinda pissed as I had to walk nearly 2 miles there and 2 miles back to get the damn thing which was supposedly their only one.

I called them back and he ran through different years, etc. and it still showed up (Spectra 5211005). He then checked a Delphi variant (Delphi CFE0342) and that WAS the same as OEM (longer, separate posts; power post has a boot around the wire and resembles an old ignition coil) or much closer and doesn't have the molded in connector like the Spectra.

Unfortunately the Delphi costs nearly $30 MORE (it has a lifetime warranty, so it evens out I suppose) and they had to bring one in from another location, but I'm not a fan of cutting or splicing anything that sits in a gas tank, and crimped on connectors sit too close to each other on the Spectra, and there's always the slim possibility of one wiggling loose and sparking. 

Thankfully the guy working was willing to drop it off after work, so kudos to the Auto Zone guy.

Finally got correct replacement pump and it was about exact. Came with the sock retainer clip, feed hose and 2 clamps. Also had a rubber spacer the pump sets on which matched OEM. Extra was a foam slip cover, akin to a beer can holder and 2 zipties, so it's actually more secure than OEM.

Primed on/off about 6 times and it fired right up. Sounds stronger than before too.

If you want an exact replacement, get the Delphi.

$30 is cheap for the peace of mind of not having to replace it in a year. I used to work in a parts store and the cheaper brand we had stocked usually came back just outside the warranty period vs ordering the name-brand that usually never came back. Kinda like a lot of parts.

Seems worth it. Plus it's an exact fit, though the sock seems to rest against the pan in the tank. I must have spent an hour trying to figure out why the sock was making it almost impossible to seat the assembly. It could only install one way, but looked like it would have made more sense facing the front of the car or passenger side. 

Oh well, it's definitely running stronger and seems to have reclaimed a hp or two.

Interesting note, I tested the old pump out of the car and it still spun and was quiet. Guessing it had something let go internally where it just wasn't able to pump the fluid but motor was still good, so you can't rely on it running as meaning it's not bad. I always thought fuel pumps were all or nothing. 

Given the torque the factory motor puts out, I'm really surprised all they have holding it in place is the top hose. Glad the Delphi came with the foam pump sleeve (pump was same size as stock; sleeve made up gap between bracket and pump case and if it absorbs gas, it might act like a cooling sleeve) and zip ties as it's definitely more secure.