Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1997 Subaru Legacy outback engine

I would put a '96- '98 EJ22 from an Impreza or Legacy in it. Slightly less power, but fewer headgasket issues and 300K + mile capability. Those years engine should be plug n play into your Outback. If I felt I was up to pulling an engine I would be doing this myself with a 1st gen Outback.

I am with Texan here, if you can do do the work yourself.

For some it won't make a difference, but 30 less HP, with a wagon and hilly terrain or trying to use a trailer is felt.

In addition to having more history with the same engine.

O.

I have a 98 OBW with a swapped '95, 2.2 motor, and also a 99 OBW with the original 2.5 motor. I can readily tell the difference between the performance of each. Yea, the 2.2 is down 30 hp, so it begs to be driven rather sedately. It requires extra time to blend into freeway traffic, but you get use to it's nature. However, I will say that the 2.2 runs very smoothly, more so then the 2.5, and is super dependable. 

Finding a good 2.2 out of the 90's is getting to be more and more difficult. Most have high millage, and are nearing the end of useful life. However, they are there, just have to look harder.