Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I dont remember getting this code before I pulled the engine. Now I get a p0453 code and thats it. Evaporative emission control system. Could I have not hooked something up right when I put it back together. When I take the gas cap off a lot of pressure is released and I can hear a sort or gurgling noise coming from the tank. Sometimes that is enough to get rid of the code. Anyone know what it could be?

98 impreza ej22

Edited by Msp90

The code goes out after you loosen the gas cap? Try leaving the gas cap loose (don't click it, just turn 1-2 threads in so it's in place, but kind of wobbly) and see if it eventually goes out. If it does go out, maybe the cap is bad and worth dropping $10 for a new one. 

If that doesn't fix it, look here: http://www.obd-codes.com/p0453 and diagnose your evap system.

There's a small vac operated switch fro the evap sys. under the intake pass. side towards the back of the engine.  It's very easy to over look and hard to see during a casual inspection.  IF I remember right that was the code I got on a 97 2.2 after a install and that was the problem.  The hose may have broken or unplugged. Worth a look.

Edited by screwbaru2

Either the vacuum hose from the canister to the purge solenoid is pinched/plugged, or the purge solenoid under the manifold isn't working properly. 

Connect the green test mode plugs under the drivers dash. (single wire to each)

Turn the Key to ON, then you'll hear the fans cycling on and off, and all of the solenoids and relays will start clicking. 

Find the solenoid under the manifold and listen/feel it to see if it is clicking open and closed. If it doesn't click, first make sure its plugged in all the way. 

Plug in a used one (if you can get one) and see if that one clicks. 

If the solenoid clicks pull the hose off the manifold and try to blow air through the solenoid. 

If air flows through the solenoid, you may have a clog in the vent tube for the evap canister at the back of the car. 

• Like 1