Ultimate Subaru Message Board

(99 OBW) just came out of transmission shop. May need a new front differential... However, $1500 (minimum) on a 208k vehicle, although it is the 30th Anniversary model (heated leather seats, 2 sun roofs, heated mirrors & stuff)... NEVER had any major repairs so:

a headgasket MAY happen (hasn't yet)

has a problem when I get gas & it takes a moment to start up again... & then drives & starts fine until the next fill up & then...

so...

what to do? what to do?

Are ALL 4 tires identical? I know mine has made some decel whine when the previous tires were getting worn and one got a little low.

Evap issues usually pop codes. I say evap as that's part of the gas tank system, and fill ups can present themselves as an evap issue. You do not overfill, right? i.e. you don't "top off" by forcing fuel into the tank beyond the cut-off? That can send raw fuel back into the evap lines, and screw with the charcoal canister. If you aren't over filling, try replacing the gas cap.

If car is paid for and otherwise runs OK and you enjoy it, then keeping it running isn't an issue. I'd get a 2nd and even 3rd opinion on the trans. Do NOT tell the other mechanics you already had it looked at, or you "think" it's a transfer case, etc. Let them come up with a diagnosis on their own. If you want to save some dancing, have Subaru diagnose it.

DIY will save a ton of money, but if you aren't mechanically inclined, get 2nd-3rd opinions. If car is paid for and needs a legit $1500 in repairs; going used and DIY you can get that down to maybe $250. Otherwise, think of it as roughly 3-4 monthly car payments and you still own the car that has the creature comforts.

Edited by Bushwick
  • Like 2

New timing kit and used transmission.

$400 used transmission. $400 install. Done for half the price.

Www.car-part.com

Any 1996-1999 outback, or legacy with a 2.5 engine will work - Legacy GT, legacy Lsi, SUS,

1998 forester and Impreza RS will work too.

I wouldn't put anything into it unless you can also do a complete timing kit. Amazon has gates kits for reasonable price.

Interference engine so if it breaks the engine often incurs valve damage.

• Like 1

If the pulleys and tensioner were replaced eith the belt then great, sure leave those.

There's no correlation between belt and trans, it's financial. There's concern over cash and mileage, id want to take care of the riskiest part of the car, the timing *components*,not just the belt.

I should have about thirty grand left on this belt

Timing kit, The pulleys and tensoners fail too.

If they do the valves usually bend and will cost more to repair than your transmission.

Also call around to some transmission shops. They can swap a transmission really fast. a thirty year old respected trans rebuilder typically known as pricey but really good would install subaru transmissions for $150 (not including fluids or any gaskets or hoses) if you supplied the used trans. Most won't do that but it's worth 5 phone calls to the trans shops in town.

• Like 1

Anywhere near Portland? You could take it to Rick (Generaldisorder) and have a true subaru master tell you what's actually wrong with it.

not near enough (3.5 hours away over a mountain)... unless you meant Portland, Maine... then it's like 3,500 miles & real mountains away)