Ultimate Subaru Message Board

power steering leaking how to fix it

So I was under the car looking for where the smoke is coming from when I stop. So what I found is it looks like the steering is leaking where the shaft from the steering wheel enters the rack. IS he easiest fix just to replace the whole unit with one from the junkyard?

Or is there a way to stop the leak?

Thanks

Are you actually losing power-steering fluid?

Or are you losing engine-oil?

These questions are relevant, because (for some engine models) a leaking head-gasket can cause engine-oil to drip down and accumulate on that small gearbox at the bottom-end of the steering wheel.

What year/model/engine do you have?

Check for a head-gasket leak at the lower-rear corner of the head (on the steering-wheel side). If that location is wet with oil, then it may be that your supposed steering-oil leak is actually from the engine above.

Just a thought.

I have the 2.5 engine. 

It is definitely power steering fluid. You can see the buildup from where the shaft enters the top.  And the engine does not loose oil, but the power steering does. Trans also holds level.

Someone recommended a reseal of the rack? I was thinking just a pick n pull replacement? 

This is a 99 legacy outback wagon. 2.5L auto.

this is one case where i'd try stop leak first.  if it doesn't work you're just throwing the old rack away anyway, so why not?

otherwise yeah you can use gobs and gobs of steering racks.  95-99 legacy or outback will work - they have different steering ratios which probably only matters if you're really concerned, performance, minded, etc. 

impreza racks probably even work too - but you shouldn't have any trouble finding a leg/outback one. 

• Like 2

Thanks, I am going to try the stop leak first. Also found the lines to the trans cooler above the rack leaking a little, so maybe the leak is not as bad as I thought it was, and the stop leak may work?  I also tightened the hose clamps on the trans lines, I am assuming it is to the cooler?

Thanks