Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Should I buy this Subaru Forester?

Hi,

This is my first post on this forum. I'm currently looking at buying an 02 forester. The link to the ad- http://vermont.craigslist.org/cto/5576780012.html

I live in New Hampshire, and the car is about two hours away from my house. My plan is to buy it, have it towed to a shop in mass that does engine swaps, and have them swap in a rebuilt/low mileage engine. I haven't got a quote yet, but I expect the engine replacement itself to be from $3000-$4000. When all is said and done, I'll have a forester with a low mileage engine for a total cost between 4 and 5 grand. Around here, people really like to overprice their subarus. In a private party, it's not rare to see an early 2000's forester that hasn't had head gaskets done with 250k miles on the clock selling for 4 grand. Any feedback is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Brad

Well the body sure looks good on the Forester, no rust to speak of. I wonder if the interior is nice and clean?? Have you talked with seller to know what is bad about the Forester's motor? Maybe it can be repaired? If cannot be repaired, then my thought would be to see what I could find in a used engine from a wrecking yard.

For example, last year my daughter trashed the motor in her '07 Hyundai Sonata. I bought a yard motor for $900 with a guarantee, and had a guy install the motor for $700. It was actually the guy at the yard, who sold me the motor, who recommended the installer. The installer even picked up the motor from the yard, and took it to his shop, and returned the bad motor core to the yard for recycling. All I had to do was have the car towed to the installer's garage. I actually located the motor on line, called the yard, negotiated the price down a bit, and paid for the motor with a credit card. I never physically went to the yard at all. Yea, it was somewhat of a gamble, but lucked out, with what has turned out to be a very good motor.

Also with all AWD Subarus, they need to be flat bed towed, not pulled along behind the wrecker, as it will damage the AWD system.

Well the body sure looks good on the Forester, no rust to speak of. I wonder if the interior is nice and clean?? Have you talked with seller to know what is bad about the Forester's motor? Maybe it can be repaired? If cannot be repaired, then my thought would be to see what I could find in a used engine from a wrecking yard.

For example, last year my daughter trashed the motor in her '07 Hyundai Sonata. I bought a yard motor for $900 with a guarantee, and had a guy install the motor for $700. It was actually the guy at the yard, who sold me the motor, who recommended the installer. The installer even picked up the motor from the yard, and took it to his shop, and returned the bad motor core to the yard for recycling. All I had to do was have the car towed to the installer's garage. I actually located the motor on line, called the yard, negotiated the price down a bit, and paid for the motor with a credit card. I never physically went to the yard at all. Yea, it was somewhat of a gamble, but lucked out, with what has turned out to be a very good motor.

Also with all AWD Subarus, they need to be flat bed towed, not pulled along behind the wrecker, as it will damage the AWD system.

They said the motor is locked up. I'm not too worried about what's wrong with it, since I plan on replacing it with a good engine that'll come with a warranty anyways. And I'm probably going to gt my motor through the person who installs it, so I don't have to take any risks. Also, I just lost my license for 110 days so I have plenty of time to do some work on it like tires, brakes an such if it needs it. I plan on lowering it anyways, so the tires and wheels will go. I just asked about the interior, hopefully I'll get a response. I also plan on paying at least a couple hundred $$$ to have it towed. I would drive out and rent a UPS truck and trailer but I'm afraid that might cost the same in the end with rental fees and gas. I'll keep you posted on this, and thanks for the reply!

They can be towed behind if dollies are used. No wheels should roll on the ground.

just - why?? I never understood the reasoning behind doing that - especially to an AWD Subaru...

if you want low to the ground, get something that is low to the ground...

I would lift it, but that introduces rust problems. I'm going to get coilovers so I can adjust the ride height, so it won't always be low. And I'm not slamming it- just lowering it a little. I'm not one of those kids who makes their car completely useless in any situation other than dry pavement. 

Edit: I need AWD for winter. That's why I'm getting coilovers, so I can adjust the ride height. And due to the three tickets I have, I can't get a sports car. I chose the forester because they're the cheapest subarus you can get around here, and it'll probably be the cheapest for my insurance.

I'd do something like this: 

DSC04595.jpg

Or this:

img_0164.jpg

Edited by b_rad

I need AWD for winter.

and that is why I don't understand the lowering thing... if you need it for winter, then you don't want lower...

but, yeah, what ever...

and in the "for what it's worth" department - not all "coil overs" are adjustable - that is a very generic term for coil springs over the shock/strut - which most vehicles use these days. the stock suspension on that forester is most likely "coil over" - just not adjustable ;)

and that is why I don't understand the lowering thing... if you need it for winter, then you don't want lower...

but, yeah, what ever...

and in the "for what it's worth" department - not all "coil overs" are adjustable - that is a very generic term for coil springs over the shock/strut - which most vehicles use these days. the stock suspension on that forester is most likely "coil over" - just not adjustable ;)

I understand that, it's just easier to say coilovers because most people understand what you mean. And it'll only be lowered in the summer. I live in the suburb area of NH so we get a lot of snow and it doesn't always get plowed right away.