Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1997 Legacy GT (2.5l) trans rebuild or swap & year interchangability?

My '97 Legacy GT wagon is in desperate need of a trans rebuild OR swap. It's a 5sp and I just had a Stage II full clutch set installed while at the same time I had the aftermarket TO Bearing installed (sounded like the TOB was about to disintegrate). Well turns out it wasn't the TOB. Changed trans fluid, smelled BURNT and had lots of very small metallic debris...... Trans still has loud fringing in mostly 1-4th and occasional chirping (which made me think it WAS the TOB).

Does anyone know which years are compatable w/ mine? Also, which is the best way to go, rebuild OR swap for same? I would like to swap w/ a JDM trans IF that's possible but again, not sure exactly what to look for and if there would be any issues there?

Thanks, DF

Thanks guys, swap def sounds better all the way around. I'll check the gear ratio front and rear to confirm for a match.

Does anyone know where I can go to verify the year models w/ the same trans that are swappable with my 97 5speed? Thanks again for your input. D.