Ultimate Subaru Message Board

My 2004 MT Outback has been having trouble with what I am assuming is torque binding. When the car is warmed up it will make clunking noises when turning sharply left or right at low speed. I understand that the fix for this is to replace the center differential? Last week when I was backing uphill into a driveway and turning sharply left, something bound up so badly that it felt like I had backed into something. The could not reverse any further. I pulled forward and whatever was bound up released with a clunk. Since then the car has been making a speed dependent clicking noise while driving that sounds like it is coming from the front of the car. It gets louder when the car is accelerating, but never goes away. I have already replaced the front CV shafts thinking that could have been the problem, but the noise is still there. I am planning to replace the center differential soon. Any ideas as to what could be causing the clicking?

does it sound like a ratcheting sound gets worst as u speed up does not matter if clutch is in or out only makes the sound while moving? would be interesting to learn this one i have a friend whos car is doing the same thing and he has been driving it like that for months.