Ultimate Subaru Message Board

replace window regulator, '84 brat ?

crank is spinning. window is stuck in up position. (won't lower). In order to access the bolts that hold the window to the regulator it appears to me that the window should be down. Any suggestions?

Once I get the window out, I want to replace the regulator, any tricks of the trade? I have done this in the past with a gen. 1, and yes it is a pita, but doable. I searched the repair manual, but not much there.

thanks, dp

'78 brat, 3" lift, 14's, weber,...

'84 auto brat

Had to do this one on me 83 wagon...

Once you remove the bolts that hold the regulator to the door, the whole assembly should come loose and you should be able to lower the window that way. Its kind of a pain in the butt, though it really isn't a hard swap.

Didn't I send you one?Is this THAT one?If so I'm damn sorry about that...

Those aren't too hard to do.At least they've gone well for me.I changes one on an '82 4WD wagon and it took about 15 minutes,glass and all.

In your case you my need to reach up and get those 10mm bolts.Or,you might be able to disconnect the regulator and the frame should drop down....I think.

I'd get any bolts you can off and see if it'll drop down.There's only like 3 bolts on the frame and I thin 4 on the regulator.Then there's the position holders,I think 2 or 3 of those at the top of the door.

Good luck,hope it works out and please let me know if that's the one I sent you.

Make certain to be mindful not to remove the adjusters on the slide bars at all. These are the studs with the flat screw ends and a nut on them.

Otherwise you wont be able to figure out how to get the window to press to the car and youll have a whistling window. It took me a week to get one on my old Brat pitched right. Grr!

I have to agree with the rest this is an easy job.

funny paul, yes that be the one. I didn't mind it stuck up during the winter, but now it is finally getting hot... so 90 degrees will budge a procrastinator! I need time management training.

Thanks for the input, I'll try unleashing the regulator and dropping the whole affair. Should work as long as stud for the crank will clear its hole.

thanks again, dp

• 2 weeks later...

I finally got to the change out. I'd thought I'd refresh this thread. I took off the four bolts that hold the regulator plus two that hold part of the linkage, pushed the regulator back into the inside of the door. Was able to pull the window up just enough to access the two bolts that hold the window. Got the window out. With the reg. locked it wouldn't fold enough to drop down and pass through the large botton hole in the door. There isn't enough room for the reg. stud to easily pull up and out of the door, so I forced it, and it barely cleared. Once the reg. was out, the new one fed back in through the large bottom hole (no problem) and the rest was easy.

Paul, just so you know, I AM installing the one I bought from you. I works just fine. I never got around to doing it, but as I said now that winter is over, I couldn't live with it in the locked up position. I hate to expose my procrastinator belly side up, but maybe it will inspire other procrastinators.