Ultimate Subaru Message Board

a friend of mine bought a 2002 forester and i noticed the a/c is on no matter what setting the hvac is set to if the blower is on the a/c compressor is spinning even if u turn the dial to heat. why is this happening? also the blower motor only works on speeds 1 2 and 4 speed 3 is not working resistor pack maby?

would you know where the resistor is located on the forester? i know on my old bmw its inside the duct work and is a pain to get to is it like that on the forester as well or is it a bit easier to get too? were planning a trip to a junk yard to get some random panels and stuff that ither missing or broken for the car and if its easy enough i might pull the resistor as well.

I'm not sure where it is on the Forester. 99.99% of the time they are IN the cool air duct somewhere. Few cars use a speed modual which I think works with a PWM to control fan speed.. but '02 Forester surely has a resistor.

Usually close to the blower motor.. I would get the switch too, and if any 'box' connects to the switch, get that too.

the current part list is a trim panel for the rear hatch - an arm rest because the plastic is cracked under the part your arm rests on and u can feel it - the rear cup holder and trim panel as there both broken - a rear cargo shade if we can find one - the a/c switch and a resistor for the blower motor.

there is also a sunroof issue witch im not sure if its gonna be fixed. the sunroof wont open at all it tries to move but one side comes down before the other side then it jams it also will not tilt up not sure if its supposed to though as ive never seen it work.

Sunroofs and subarus seem to be nothing but trouble. On our 2001 obw limited it leaked ,  after much grief, it was the body seams under the headliner... good grief ! Now it does not leak but recently it started this new trick...  front sunroof opens fine... just won't shut... SO if you keep trying to open it will now open the rear sunroof ... wide open, real rain catcher!  .... then will not shut either of them , after both are open if you hold your tongue just so ...lift your right foot an inch... it will shut both  properly  GRRR   Wife and I have learned to leave it alone but anybody else that gets in has to try it out. Point of the story LEAVE IT SHUT and disconnect the power to it !