Ultimate Subaru Message Board

5 speed swap wiring question

anybody have a wiring diagram for 88 (I think) D/R 5 speed connectors.

there are 4 wires coming off the 4 speed (from 2 switches), and 6 wires from 3 devices on the 5 speed...

my searching found something on a nuetral indicator switch in the SPFI D/R tranny... but thats it....

any thoughts?

The 4WD connector and switch is coming out of the tranny in the top center portion; I believe the backup light switch is further to the rear of the tranny. The Lo switch is mounted on the 4WD lever near the base. I haven't figured out the wire colors or which connector goes where, but my back-up lights work properly. Next time I crawl under there, I'll try to figure it out some more and post wire colors.

well, they are just switches, so using my 85 parts manual, I was able to determine which swithes were where I hope.... the 85 tranny only had 2 switches, while mine has 4.... plus I need to replaces some of my switches, as the wires broke off at the switch...

I have the tranny and motor back in, but nothing else yet. tonight hopefully the shifters. and the other stuff. then I get to do the front wheel bearings :)

Any news on the wiring change over?

• 1 month later...

Plug your diff lock into the 4WD wiring that's already in your car, and hook the diff lock actuator up to the vacuum solenoids that are already there. it uses teh same solenoids and the same circuit just the switch is different.

As for the 5 speed switches, I have no idea, but you could poke around with an ohm meter and figure out what switches do what. My 2WD 85 wagon has an upshift light, I dunno if there was one on 85 4WDs or not, but if so, one of those switches might be a 5th gear switch (so the upshift light doesn't come on in 5th gear)

mine is an '89 D/R, and has 4 switches. the 4LO and back-up switches are the samelocation as the earlier models. I have the 4LO hooked up fine. still waiting for a reverse switch. the others I'm just leaving alone....