Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Vents sometimes don't change direction

97 Legacy Outback AT. The vents sometimes don't change direction when pressing the buttons but usually do respond. I'd say it happens 10% of the time that I press a button and the vents do not respond. I already removed the climate control panel to replaced bulbs and so the connections have been unplugged/replugged yet the problem continues.

Thoughts?

Edited by bstone

Perhaps the push buttons are sticky from soft drink spills onto the buttons. I have a 98 and 99 Outback with the same climate control as yours. I spray Windex at the buttons, push all the buttons repeatedly, while drying off the buttons off. See if that helps.

At a later point, climate control panel in both cars developed some buttons that wouldn't work any longer. So, I finally bought replacement units off either e-bay or Amazon. I may have gotten one from a wrecking yard.

Perhaps the push buttons are sticky from soft drink spills onto the buttons. I have a 98 and 99 Outback with the same climate control as yours. I spray Windex at the buttons, push all the buttons repeatedly, while drying off the buttons off. See if that helps.

At a later point, climate control panel in both cars developed some buttons that wouldn't work any longer. So, I finally bought replacement units off either e-bay or Amazon. I may have gotten one from a wrecking yard.

I didn't think of it as a button issue as much as the vent position not responding at all. When this problem occurs none of the buttons will work. I'll try some windex.