Ultimate Subaru Message Board

looking for opinions, please...

Which do you like better on this car?

dark%20wheels.jpg

light%20wheels.jpg

trying to decide what to do with the wheels before getting new tires mounted. The clear coat is in bad shape, and the wheels are looking pretty ugly in their stock form... need to do something with them.

The big question is light, or dark?

LOL, thanks guys. The dark kind of grows on you after a bit, and I do like that it kind of matches the lower body panels. It also seems to hide a lot of sins (scuffs, scratches, etc). From a distance, the silver looks ok, but up close, they really are pretty ugly.

the current dark wheels are the ones I had on my lifted Legacy that has been demoted to back-up car instead of daily driver.

The tires the Foz had on it were a iffy - fronts extremely worn (plus one with a nasty leak - had to air it up every couple of days) - rears not nearly as worn (never been rotated?), so i stuffed the snows on the Legacy (on stock 14" steelies) and put the 15's on the Foz until I can get some new tires for it next month.

Dark/black wheels, to me just looks like nothings there. Fades into the blacktop. Ask any artist what black does in a painting and they'll tell you it creates negative space. That's not to say that it detracts from the painting when used properly, but people tend to not focus on black. Our eyes tend to be drawn first toward bright colors in a painting or picture. A car is no different. Your eyes will be drawn to a brighter area first, simply because it's more visible.

I like to see some contrast between the wheel and tire. Depends on the style/vehicle as well, but in general I prefer a silver or bright colored wheel.

I did see a WRX STI that was silver with sort of gunmetal colored wheels that I liked. 

Of course, there are all kinds. Whichever you prefer is what you should go with. 

the paint used on that set was a dark grey "hammered" finish, not black - but I think I may try the lighter grey on this set... and I did tape off the lip of the wheel to leave natural (where tire and wheel meet) it is kind of hard to see in that picture, but it is there.

no point in painting an area that is going to get scratched up by tools when mounting the tires. :P