Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Looking to pick up a new project outback. Has a blown automatic transmission. Anyone forsee any towing issues of 25 miles in neutral if I disconnect the rear drive shaft? I know its a big nono in general but if the trans is already blown, I'm not concerned with damaging it. Just getting it home.

I suppose there's an extremely unlikely internal failure of some type (what???)  that might lock-up something internal to the trans or front diff - depending on 'what' is the trans issue.

given your post though - I think it's fine. ATF will get overheated, but front diff is splash lubricated.  viscous unit ??? I dunno

The transmission will not lubricate itself without the engine running, so go very slow. The faster you go, the more friction/heat/damage...

Leave the shaft connected, that will keep the output shafts spinning at the same speed, anyway.

Pulling the shaft and towing on a dolly would be far better.

Engine idling in neutral I would think would work, BUT not if the oil pump is what is failed, so check for oil circulation if you decide to try that.

I have flat towed my older 4wd automatics, slow not more than 20 miles, with no problems, but I know that the 4wd clutch pack is released when the engine is off. Awd could be different.

Early (maybe phase I, might have been a later change) duty-c solenoids do default to released, but even without actual hydraulic pressure on the clutch packs, I personally would feel better with everything spinning the same speed. IMO, your saving yourself some work, and you might be glad you didn't roast anything in there later.

And yes, if you idle the engine in neutral, it should keep stuff lubricated. I don't think pump failure is very common, but DaveT is right, if it has failed, that won't help.