Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Driver head lamp very dim, high beam light on dash partially illuminated

New issue which began just the other night. The driver's headlamp is very dim and I am also seeing a partially/half illuminated high bean light on the dashboard. Whenever I turn on the high beams the driver's side lamp does out. Passenger's side is just fine. So far I've replaced the bulb, replaced the connector by cutting out the old one and splicing in a new one, and cleaning the grounds. So far no love.

Ideas of what I should try next?post-27176-0-45721300-1477957597_thumb.jpg

Edited by bstone

Check your headlight fuses and relays in the under hood fuse box. This is the failsafe condition Subaru has wired into the headlight system so you can still see to drive when one or the other fails.

I wasn't aware of a failsafe but that is interesting. I'll check and get back to you.

Yup blown fuse for H/L LH. I'm going to replace it and hope that this restores full lighting. I'm not sure what caused this fuse to blow but I will mention that the electrical connector for the left headlamp was looking mighty crusty so I cut it out and spliced in a brand new replacement connector.

I'm not sure if this is related but a few weeks ago the grounding cable under the fuse box to the battery in the engine bay snapped so I had to cut and crimp. Any other ideas on what I might check?

... Any other ideas on what I might check?

Check for corroded connections, they need to be clean.

Also, if you already changed one of the two sockets for the Headlamps' bulbs; the other one might be in same conditions as the other was, so it worth to change it as well.

Did the Grounding cable, snapped while the engine was Running?

Kind Regards.

Check for corroded connections, they need to be clean.

Also, if you already changed one of the two sockets for the Headlamps' bulbs; the other one might be in same conditions as the other was, so it worth to change it as well.

Did the Grounding cable, snapped while the engine was Running?

Kind Regards.

I'll change the other side electrical connector as you suggest. The engine was not running when the grounding cable snapped.

• Like 1

I replaced the popped fuse but the left/driver lamp is still dim. The left/driver lamp turns off when I activate the high beams (right/passenger works fine) and the high beam light is still partially illuminated on the dash. The fuse didn't pop after I replaced it despite turning on and off the headlights and high beams repeatedly. I replaced both the right and left H/L fuses. I swapped the two relays and I can feel them both click but the problem persists. No love.

I'm next going to replace the electrical connector for the drivers side to see if that helps. I also have an extra multifunction switch and will connect that to see if the problem is there. Any other advice?

Yes, I kindly suggest you to check the Relays, first.

Kind Regards.

I did, as I wrote in my post. I swapped the right and left relays which had no effect. I tried them one at a time which didn't solve anything. I also felt the relays click as I used the switch to engage the lamps.

Sorry, I should've missed to read this part.

So, if the Relays are good, the Sockets are Good, and I bet that you already Have interchanged the mere Halogen Bulbs from one side Headlamp, to the other side headlamp, and both are good; if so, then the issue should be on the Wiring, which should be tracked completely, to find where is the electrical false contact.

Good Luck! ... report back the Results.

Kind Regards.

I did, as I wrote in my post. I swapped the right and left relays which had no effect. I tried them one at a time which didn't solve anything. I also felt the relays click as I used the switch to engage the lamps.

I forgot to ask you, about the state of the connections at the Relay's Sockets.

Sometimes they develop electrical false contact, by corrosion or melting on the plastics...

Kind Regards

My money is on a bad ground.

You can prove it by putting your voltmeter between the grounded side of the headlight and battery negative(lights on).

Should be 0 volts but won`t be.

The actual ground point is likely in the interior.

Bad relay contacts would have the same effect.

Relays can click and still be bad.Try swapping them around.

• 2 weeks later...

Turns out two of the wires on the headlight connector which I spliced in were reversed. Who knew it'd still partially work? I found someone else who had done the same thing and had the same exact problem (dim lights, one lamp would go dark when high beams were activated, and high beam light partially illuminated on the dash). I reversed the wires and now everything just works.

Turns out two of the wires on the headlight connector which I spliced in were reversed. Who knew it'd still partially work? I found someone else who had done the same thing and had the same exact problem (dim lights, one lamp would go dark when high beams were activated, and high beam light partially illuminated on the dash). I reversed the wires and now everything just works.

Thank you for coming back for sharing here the Answer -solution- to the problem;

it could be Helpful for other Subaru owners.  Kind Regards.