Ultimate Subaru Message Board

transmission pan swapability?

Nothing special about Subaru Pans.  If they are the same shape and have the same number of bolts holding them on you are good to go.

They are just sealed to the trans.  It's something other than RTV but Gray RTV works well.  NO Gasket.

if the transmissions are interchangeable i'd be very surprised if the pans were not. pretty sure all 95-99 Phase I trans are the same pans. 

you could just look them up online - 98 outback at one of the online subaru parts retailers and click the tab for "fitment/other years/models" and it'll list them all.  just takes a minute to verify, i do it all the time. 

or look them up on ebay and find a listing that has all the years/models it fits. 

the trans diff and driveshaft are in i drove it home but i was stupid and used the rubber gasket that was on the transmission pan i took off and it blew out driving it home now the fluid is leaking out in the driveway from the gasket so tomorrow i get the fun task of getting more trans fluid getting back under there and redoing the pan gasket this time im just going to use the dam rtv gasket maker witch i had but was just lazy. i did swap the trans computer at first but it started throwing the at temp light blinking i plugged the original trans computer back in and the light stopped.

Probably no swap needed.

Not sure about yopur gen, in gen2 the outback and legacy front diff had different ratios- you might need to swap the rear diff too (or, when you aid trans and diff it may have been rear diff you meant already)

you are correct they were different ratios that is why the diff got swapped too but the diff that is matched to the original trans had a whine the one i installed does not.

Drain and fill typically about 4 qts. make sure the pan isn't dented, even slightly can cause issues.

On my 99 OBW, it is 4 quarts plus one pint from drain to refill. However, remember, you are only draining about half of the ATF. The remainder is retained in the torque converter, and cannot be drained out.

i just took the pan back down and got rid of the stupid rubber gasket used rtv copper gasket maker. do i really need to wait 24 hours to refill with fluid? right now the pan is on but not fully tightened down so the gasket maker will cure a little before tightening fully. will i be able to fill it back up later tonite or do i really need to wait a full 24 hours?

ok now i need some help. the transmission i just put in had a rusted out pan witch was why i swapped the pan form the start. the trans i put in had a bolt broken in the corner one of the ones that does not come through the case and out the other side but it never leaked there so i thought it would be ok. the first time i used the rubber gasket and it leaked from the corner with the broken bolt. then i took the pan off and used just rtv copper gasket maker let it dry 30 hours before filling its still leaking from the same corner with the broken bolt. will i ever get it to seal again with this bolt being broken ir will i have to drill it out? im afraid to drill into the transmission casing.

Edited by sirtokesalot

well i pulled the exhaust and pan today got the rtv off it wasent even fully dried in the middle after sitting 4 days though it was dry on the edges rtv came off fairly easy stuck the pan back on for now with 4 bolts and have it ready for my friend later who is coming down after work to drill the bolt out as i do not feel comfortable doing my first bolt drilling in a transmission. exhaust had to come down because it was in the way of drilling the broken bolt. hopefully if all goes well it will be sealed up by the end of the night and ill be able to drive it for the first time with the new trans installed. i bought a gasket because i dont want to wait for the rtv to dry again.

Edited by sirtokesalot

and finally after all this time my friend has drilled the bolt and re tapped it new bolt in new gasket no leaks been holding fluid for about 2 hours now. now the outback has the full driveline from the legacy l wagon witch runs and drives very good compared to the original driveline that was in the car.