Ultimate Subaru Message Board

So I am working on some of the final updates to the 95 Legacy and polishing the headlights is one of the projects.  I see kits out there that supposed to clear the plastic up, has anyone used of these?  I read one time to use brake fluid to clean the lenses and have tried that.  It works for a little while, but I am looking for a longer lasting fix.

How about brighter bulbs, the originals are not the brightest.

I really do not want to go with projectors or anything else complicated like that.

Any suggestions are appreciated,   Mark 

None of the polishes that i have seen work very long.  Cost of replacement housings is down , looks like $150 a pair on ebay for your year group. I polished mine on a 2000 obw ... lasted a month...  bought replacement housings and WOW clear lenses really light things up.  Yes , all these are coming out of china and the bulbs are junk, put your original bulbs in before installing.  You won;t be sorry.

all the kits work to a fairly good degree. The 'secret' seems to be a thorough cleaning after, followed by a good UV blocking clear-coat.

what types of bulbs are in your car? there may be an option but, most brighter bulbs will have a shorter lifespan. Don't do HIDs without proper projector installation. check State regulations before adding additional 'offroad only' driving lights.

I just sand and polish much like this guy does.  

I have it down to where I wet sand with 4000 grit and polish.Your auto parts store should have a spray on uv protectant.

I am  torn on the bulb issue.I am running 55 watt Sylvania.Stock head lights.I live on the Olympic Penninsula where it rains a lot.During the winter I typically have head lights, wiper,front and rear defog,radio  and by default, the cooling fans running.The cooling fans run any time your a/c compressor does.Your a/c kicks on with the defrost.I gutted the a/c system and one cooling fan.I rewired the remaining cooling fan so that i control it from the inside.Doing this has made a difference in how bright the stock lights are.I am still thinking of getting the brighter bulbs but they burn up quick.

First gen legacy wagon.

Ok,  it looks like a wet sand project.  I have a few sets of headlights from the parts cars so I will pick out the best 2 and give it a go.  If that does not work it looks like china lighting.  

No need to take these apart and clean the inside of the lens right?

Mark

I have had good results wet-sanding with 800 followed by 1200 grit paper. Then Meguires plastic cleaner followed by Meguires Plastic Polish. I agree it is a temporary fix without the proper sealant, but in the short term, the lenses look great, and the light transmission through them is greatly improved.