Ultimate Subaru Message Board

how to make relay turn on only when high beams are on?

ive been trying everything i can think of and cannot figure out how to make a relay come on only when the high beams are on. i have the low beams constant grounded so the lows and fogs stay on with high beams on i have installed extra lighting i want to come on only when the high beams are on but i cannot make the relay trigger. when i attach the relay to the high beam wires the stupid relay only runs when the low beams are on then shuts off with high beams on i want the opposite of this. i tried every configuration of wiring the relay in front at the headlight connection i could think of and i can only achieve making it on with low and off with high beams or having it come on all the time. today i spent some time trying to get it to work from the wiring under the dash after the high beam switch but this is also proving to be difficult. how can i make this work? i dont want a separate switch for it i want it to just work with the high beam switch.

There are a few ways to do this depending on how the relay is being used. 

You can wire the coil side of the relay in parallel with the high beam bulb, then the relay always works only with the high beams on. The load side of the relay will need its own power supply wire (from battery or fuse panel). 

If you want/need to be able to switch the relay off, even if the high beams are on, then you'll run a separate power wire to the coil from a switch, and the relay coil will be grounded by the high beam ground wire at the high beam switch. 

Or, you can run a power supply wire to the relay, splice that to supply both the coil and the load sides of the relay. Then have the coil ground run to a switch, and then from the switch to the high beam ground wire at the high beam switch.