Ultimate Subaru Message Board

wish me luck!

what to do when I:

am itching for an automotive project?

need more work?

don't like punching a clock?

the answer:

start my own private subaru repair business!

I'm nervous about how sucessful it'll go but it's got to be better than what I'm NOT earning only working part time at a bar.

I can do a ton of advertising going block to block in many local neighborhoods and putting these flyers on people's cars. if it goes well enough i'll see about a business license and that stuff.

post-440-136027593612_thumb.jpg

May I suggest setting up a small website with paypal payment links for services so people can pay with a credit card, that may help you out. Then you can print business cards with your website too.

Other possible services:

Lift Kit install

5 or 6 lug conversion

ticking lifters (classic EA82 gasket issue)

AC retrofit to 135a

thanks for the support. i did a little flyering on sunday, talked to a couple people who were nicely receptive. one guy has coolant leaks on a turbowagon. boy, i've been there before!

subarubrat: not a bad idea on the paypal. i'll save that idea for if/when this has enough sucess to warrant that convenience.. I don't want to work with A/C because I can't evacuate an A/C system in an environmentally responsible way.. I haven't gotten to put a lift kit on one of my OWN cars yet so I wouldn't feel believable offering that service (not that I'd turn down someone who asked).. there are very few XT6es around here that I've seen, and the first one I find may be for MY turbowagon (can't resist the idea of the WRX swap).. I think i did miss the boat on the ticking lifters though.. I'll put that on the flyer when I need to make a second print run. I could manage the 6 lug conversion as my dad has a drill press, too.

SM85: I will add timing belts to the flyer for the second print run as well. maybe HGs too. I'd be nervous about trying to rebuild someone's engine quickly out of the back of my car, maybe after I move? :D .. I don't have any of the equipment for rust repair; I have body parts listed so I could cind someone better doors or fenders though. no quarter panels :P .. trunk monkey might get me in trouble with the SPCA.. maybe if I drill holes or put louvers in the trunk lid, hm?

I've decided that early evening is going to be the best time for me to go flyering; there weren't a lot of cars in the neighborhood i hit sunday afternoon...

tex: i think i'm busy that day ;)

I wish you the best luck as well. Heck, i might even be calling you for some things. I've got two jobs now, so, I'm actually making money that i can spend! Now I can finally get to my poor, somewhat neglected car (neglected only b/c i couldn't afford all of its needs!!:banghead: )

Anywho, Good luck with the business. There are a LOT of subarus over here, if you just do good work, the word will spread.

Have fun,

A Sooby repair shop is an Honorable Business to get into. Good for you Andy.I went thru Spokane on my way out here, (NY) we encountered the second worst traffic jam of the trip. 3 cars wrecked caused us to take an hour and a half to get about 2 miles. . . Never again gonna go that way. :)

Good luck man! Way to take your life into your own hands. I think youll find your success is directly porportional to your effort :)

Just one suggestion on the flyer. Put your area code on that phone number. Who knows where those flyers may end up! I know you dont want to drive too far but you never know what contacts you might make.

I've thought about doing this as well but there aren't nearly enough Soobs around here. Someone could make a killin' in North Carolina though, seems thats what most people were driving when I was up there last year. Best of luck, it's a lot of work to go out on your own but well worth it in the end.