Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Dent on my new car near the wheel well, and I have no clue what to do!

Hey everyone! So, I got a 2010 Subaru Impreza Hatchback in GREAT condition about a week ago. I was super ecstatic, until two days ago; I was returning from an impromptu trip and driving conditions were awful, and I manged to hit the curb right on the wheel well in my shiny new car :(
I know absolutely nothing about body work (or cars!), and don't have anyone I trust in my general area to take it to, so I was hoping someone could give me some insight on if this damage could hurt my vehicle (I'm worried about wheel well lining; especially with a snowstorm coming up this week...),how much it might cost to fix, and how the hell to even get that process started. Anywho, here are some pictures below. Thank you all!
http://imgur.com/a/zc1ih

looks like, under some rare situation, you could fold-up the liner. Might take just the right sized clump of ice or mud ?

you could swing by a collision center or 2 and ask if they could at least make sure the liner is still secure - they might not charge you if it only takes 2 minutes to check it - I suppose it 'could' cost $50-$100 if they actually find a problem. Check google reviews and/or yelp if you actually want to use a collision center.

I'd be tempted to just drive the car. Deal with any problem when it becomes more obvious/annoying.

Edited by 1 Lucky Texan

Hi,

You have car insurance? Call them, tell them what happened and see what they suggest. 

But you may NOT want to make a claim for a minor issue and depending on your deductible, you may be better off following 'Lucky T'" suggestion above if it's an easy fix.

You can use the Better Business Bureau and maybe even Social Media to find a reputable shop in your 'hood.

I highly suggest you start scouting out your local area Subaru mechanics - doesn't have to be a dealer  - for future maintenance concerns. Subarus aren't hard or expensive to work on, but a dedicated Subaru tech is always preferred.

GL,

TD

• Like 1

Thats exactly what I'm worried about- I live in the mountains and this winter storm is apparently going to hit us this weekend. I suppose I could just not drive it until the roads clear.
I'm really hoping to not file insurance, as it was a christmas gift from my grandmother, and she might kill me, as I am on her insurance plan (eeek). I'm a student, and will be getting a sizeable refund after paying my rent at the end of the month- I'm hoping this is an issue that can wait until then. Especially since I live in the middle of nowhere, and the closest place to get a repair is about an hours drive.
Thank you guys for all your help! :D  It happened and I didn't even notice the issue until the next afternoon, so I panicked, worrying I may destroy my car. It's actually my first car, and such a generous gift, so I felt awful. But I'm sure it can be fixed!

Well if you were a car guy, I would say fold the liner back ... take a hammer and correct size beater , tap that thin sheet metal back and push the liner back in. If necessary a screw or zip tie to keep it there.  Since you are not, I would look for that non dealer subaru mechanic. As long as you are not worried about ascetics  he should be able to tap it back . If not don't worry about it until you can get to town.

• Like 1

Hi,

You have car insurance? Call them, tell them what happened and see what they suggest.

Making that call will likely start a claim. My aunt made that call for hail damage on her Caravan, just to see what the normal process was, as she wasn't really concerned about the cosmetic damage. Claim was filed before she finished the sentence, regardless of whether she wanted to get it fixed or not.

Fixing it "correctly" there is probably going to be a big job. It might be possible to pull that dent, but it'll require a lot of body filler to get it all smooth. Replacing the panels involves cutting and welding them in, to buy new panels means the whole rocker and quarter panel (probably $800, just for those 2 parts). Or find a junkyard that can cut that section out (probably still a few hundred bucks, and will require more prep work for paint). A very well-respected body shop here in town told me that he'd cut me a sweet deal, and paint some panels for me for $350 ea. You've got basically 3 or 4 panels that would need to be painted (they'd definitely want to blend the one door, if not both of them). Most body shops won't do anything less than that, as they don't want shoddy work representing them, even if that's what you want. So an insurance estimate is probably going to be $3k. 

That said, it's mostly cosmetic. I would probably just cut off the bit of the wheel liner that sticks out, and make sure what's still there is well-attached (might involve a zip tie or 2), and call it a day. Even if that front edge comes loose from the body, worst case is it will rub on the tire, very little chance of it getting pulled off entirely.

• Like 1

I wouldn't worry about that little damage to the rocker.  I'd just go to a parts store and see if they have a a can of dupli-color paint to match and spray the area where the paint lifted off.  If it really bothers you, try a body shop that specializes in "paintless" repairs.  They are much less expensive than the traditional body shops.

My concern would be the wheel alignment and possibly a bent rim.