Ultimate Subaru Message Board

ea82 sohc weber-cant idle

so i did my weber conversion and i cannot get it to idle. it attempts to start, but has a burst of fuel shoot out the top of the carb. the idle jets are 50/55, 140/140 main and secondaries. i did get it started but i have to keep it above 3000rpm to keep it running. it runs great at that rpm, sounds like a sportscar! the choke works fine. i was told with fuel spraying out the top its running lean and i may need to change the mixture jet. any help is appreciated.

I didnt think of checking the ignition timing. will i get an accurate reading if the engine is just turning over and not idling? i can get it running to about 3k as i mentioned, but at those rpms wouldnt the vacuumm advance be kicked in and not be accurate anyways? excuse the noob questions, only other carbed vehicle is my 1982 chevy truck, im new to carbs really

Yes you can check ignition timing w/the engine cranking over and not running.

If it is an ignition timing problem,I expect it would be far enough out to be detectable w/the engine stopped and

#1 at TDC.

Distributor rotor should point at either #1 or #2 contact depending on whether #1 cyl.is at TDC of the compression

or exhaust stroke.

Could be an intake valve hanging open for some reason too.

I would check compression and cam timing if the ignition check brings no joy.

so, i finally got the car to idle and drive smoothly! i had a bad vaccuum leak, fixed that. retarded timing to 14° btdc, and of course looked at plugs and wires. in looking at plugs and wires, noticed firing order is wrong!i had cylinder 2 and 4 plug wires backwards! i think i lost three wrenches knocked over some boxes and sent the neighbors cat back over the fence! (not serious, lol). switched wires and poof, it runs. thanks Ultimate Subaru for this board. without reading a post about a wrong firing order from 5 years ago, i wouldnt have figured it out