Ultimate Subaru Message Board

ea82t Turbo seeping, coolant hose replacement, billowing steam... help!

Hey everyone,

After a brief overheating, my Subaru, 89 gl wagon turbo 180xxx miles, has begun billowing smoke/exhaust/coolant from under the turbo. It seeps a little from the gasket on the bottomside leaving a white residue. But that doesn't account for the cloud that is created from somewhere under the turbo. It smells and tastes sweet, with a touch of regular exhaust, delicious.

Also, I want to replace the coolant hose, as that may be spraying on the exhaust. Do I need to remove the turbo? How do I do that?

Oil was low at time of overheating, it's a leakaru right now, but a bit more than usual. And obviously, the coolant goes down FAST. But,the oil is clean and the coolant is clean, so I don't think it's a head gasket issue.. knock on wood.

Any advice would be great! To clarify my questions: What's the best way to replace turbo coolant hose? What would cause such a massive cloud of coolant steam/exhaust? Assuming I replace the hose and fix the exhaust leak (whatever it is), what else would cause coolant to be burning and going through the exhaust?

Thanks a lot! (and yes, I've been researching and youtubing like crazy, but im stumped.)

Cooling system leak. Any of the several hoses. Have to check the easy things first. Over heat while low on coolant usually causes the headgaskets to be damaged. NO way to know until you find and fix all of the leaks. This is from my experience with the non turbo ea82s.

Coolant and oil don't mix unless the headgasket is extremely well blown.

The oil leaks usually are from the journal that brings oil up to the overhead cam. Headgaskets and a little o ring udually contribute, and slowly get worse. You are over miles and time due for a reseal if you want to try to not leave oil drops everywhere.

If you still have white smoke coming out of the exhaust, after you have thoroughly warmed up the engine and exhaust system, and burned any coolant that may have drained in there from working on the engine, then your turbo is toast.  This assumes that there are no external coolant leaks around the turbo.