Ultimate Subaru Message Board

swapped a 98 legacy 2.2 motor into a 99 impreza 2.2

New to this forum, and having a major issue. My grandson fried the heads on his 99 impreza outback 2.2. We found a complete 98 legacy 2.2 with less miles so we did a swap. The upper wiring harness on the intake was substantially different so instead of splicing a million wires, I elected to change out the upper harness. Now that is done, after installing engine we tried to start it, and although it turns over fine, we are not getting fire to the injectors. Fuel rails are full and has plenty of pressure. The cooling fans and fuel pump cycle constantly when the key is turned on. Is there anyone out there that can shed some light on my dilemma? Only wires that I had to splice when changing out upper harness was the injectors, and they are connected correctly and tight. Help !!!!! 

Unfortunately you should have stopped when you saw differences in the wiring. A 1999 ej22 is not compatible with 1998 and earlier electronics. There are ways to make it work but it is easier to get the right stuff. 1999-2004 ej251 or ej253 would be direct swap. Or just use the heads from one on either block

Thanks for the reply. But just so I am clear and understand, I took a 1998 legacy engine, removed the upper wiring harness, changed it with the upper wiring harness from the 1999, and then stuck the 98 engine back into the 1999 car. I couldn't use the intake off the 1999 as it was wider than the 1998 intake and different connectors. So is the ecm confused and will not fire the injectors, and that is what is cycling the fuel pump and cooling fans? 

it'll run.

Swap the drivers side cam pulley and crank sprocket.  then it'll start and run, it's a Phase II and needs to see the Phase II triggers for timing/fuel/etc.  

but the idle control is different and they don't idle right, you'll need to prop the throttle plate open or try to swap throttle bodies/idle control mechanisms.

you should have seen this wiring/idle control difference while swapping the wiring harness that the idle controllers were different right?

swapping heads would work. 

You can make it work if you have some intake adaptors made or make some yourself. It's not that difficult to do really.

The reason the injectors won't fire is because you would need to swap the cam and crank sprockets because the 99 uses different trigger points and it's computer can't even tell the engine is turning without them.

There's a difference in the width of the timing belt between phase 1 and 2 so the cam sprocket would technically by a little narrow.... but it would probably work anyway. Wear in before it wears out eh?

The direct swap is actually a 99 to 04 2.5L engine. Have one in our 99 Legacy. Runs great. 165 HP.

GD

Edited by GeneralDisorder

You guys are great. Thank you all for the responses and tips. I have been around if lots of forums in my days but you guys are really in depth and thorough. Will post again tomorrow after I swap pulleys. I appreciate everyone's insight on this.

• Like 1

"That dog wont hunt"

At least not without fabbing some adapters for intake manifolds and the like. Some have managed to get them to run and drive but it was not designed for it.

My advice is to start over with a phase 2 motor. The more common 1999-2004 EJ25 motor will bolt in just fine. You'll want the dual port y pipe from the 2.5 and may need to keep your original intake manifold.

get something in there that this car was meant to run.