Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Air suspension - strut should air up with solenoid open and compressor on?

I fully realize most people convert and maybe no one on this forum knows the answer...but just in case:

Shouldn't I be able to turn on the compressor and open a strut solenoid to air up that individual strut? 

Is that true?

The system has a charge solenoid on it as well and the FSM and Subaru literature mentions turning that solenoid on as well - but I'm not sure that's necessary - that's just connected to the tank and for storing reserve air as I'm understanding it.  

Why not? According to the manual it had two settings and I can't find where it said the "High" setting raised it but just put a little in at a time and don't go crazy but see if you can find what the High setting was and make a measurement before you start and see what happens. Plus you will be able to see if they are leaking.

This is for a US XT6, which doesn't come with a "high" setting.   I'm currently troubleshooting my XT6 that had non-working air suspension when I got it. 

I've already filled one rear strut - if I add external air in the rear air strut line - and open the solenoid - that strut fills up. 

But if I add air in that same rear air strut line - and open a different strut solenoid - it's not airing up, and that doesn't make sense since all the air lines go directly to the drier and share that reservoir so to speak - so it seems like any pressure in the lines should fill up any strut which has an open solenoid (lettting air in).

1. Try it again and at every strut

2. Pressurize the system then check pressure with a gauge and see if it's holding/loosing air

3. Check for clogged drier or air lines

Once air is confirmed moving and holding pressure then I can:

4.  Test pressure switch

5.  Compressor output

6.   Tank solenoid

7.   Swap controller

8.  Scrap the original controller and install fillable schrader valves.  LOL

Okay thanks, this is note taking and planning an attack, it gets confusing when I'm in there.

Solenoids for the front struts are located on the firewall. Rear strut solenoids are located on the struts. If the compressor is good, struts will inflate when the solenoids are opened. I would suspect a weak compressor. See if it will inflate a strut with the weight of the car removed. (Just jack the car up.)

"so it seems like any pressure in the lines should fill up any strut which has an open solenoid (letting air in)."  

​Makes sense to me. That other solenoid you tested may not be opening. You should hear a click when energized. 

Edited by john in KY

lessons tonight:

1. wear eye protection

2. 150psi can blow an XT6 airbag, BAM!!!

3. When you talk to the emergency personnel don't tell them "an air bag blew in my face". They think steering wheel air bags and look at you like "okay, so what?"

4. Morgan Lenses are suction cups/contact lenses with small tubes for 30 minutes of eye irrigation.

I got lucky, no permanent damage or surgery needed.

Yes filling at any line will fill any strut that has its solenoid open.

The fuse was blown causing my issues. Oddly the suspension light blinked and some things could still be activated so it didn't appear immediately "dead".

Have a few leaks to track down.....found one right before the bag blew in my face.

Wow, glad you are okay. Oh and by the way, I get made fun of all the time, but I always wear safety glasses. I have smith and wesson shooting glasses every where and I always wear them. It is only one time and you are "beeped", if you know what I mean. Seriously, I always wear safety glasses, all day while working as an electrician and in my shop. I am constantly bitching at my dad to wear them when he should. 

Thanks. I've got tons of safety glasses and get free ones annually, lol. a friend has a cornea implant from a tool breaking and sending a piece of metal into his eye.

A guy who helped watch my kids while I was in the ER had me for racquetball class a few years ago and when I got done said "Don't you remember from racquetball, always wear your goggles!!"

I've got all struts aired up by grounding each strut solenoid and manually adding air (carefully this time with goggles)

When I get home we'll see if they hold air all day.

The compressor doesn't seem to want to pump up the system at all on it's own.

I hear air hissing out if i remove a connector and pressure exceeded my tire pressure gauge the one time i checked it.  

I'll need to repeat that pressure test and see if that was accurate or not. 

Fuse was blown (that's why solenoid testing wasn't properly working)

Both rear air lines were cut - I spliced in some lines from parts cars with 1/8"-1/8" brass compression fittings.

One air line cracked (by rear air strut, easily heard when under pressure)

Compressor was shot (turning on, but not enough output)

Air lines at the compressor leaking

4 out of 6 rear air struts were leaking through the bags (so slowly that soapy water didn't reveal it).

Finally back to XT6 air suspension after quite a few years. I'll tidy it up this summer with some new orings, probably swap struts, and install my lift, and an adjustable height switch.

I also installed a schrader valve so I can manually fill if needed.

One air line was cracked

Compressor was shot

Air lines at the compressor leaking

4 out of 6 rear air struts I had were leaking through the bags

So after quite a debacle I'm back to XT6 air suspension again after quite a few years.

Edited by grossgary