Ultimate Subaru Message Board

i have a 1991 legacy manual.

it has a super weird, two wire iac valve that needs to be replaced, but the plug on the harness has three wires....

my question is- how difficult would it be to take a standard iac from any other 90s legacy with three pins and install it? would the harness support it (since it has three wire)?

You could do it but you will also need the ECU. Since the automatic models in 90/91 had the three wire units the manifold harness probably has all three wires. I should think that the chassis harness probably does as well but that is the one wildcard I'm not sure about. You may have to run the third wire but I doubt it. 

The 90/91 manual trans IAC is NLA (No Longer Available). You can still get the later ones though - they are $355 from the dealer. Worth it though. I have had very mixed results cleaning them - I think the sealed coolant chamber/bimetal shutter actuator system goes out on them and I haven't investigated fixing that. Not really worth the effort. Used ones are a crapshoot. 

GD