Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Real experiences with going way over 300K with your 90-94 Legacy and those 2.2's

Mine is approaching the magic 300K and I intend on hitting 400K plus.

I've got the usual piston slap / extra funkiness upon starting. When warm it's not bad sounding.

Just did the clutch , all seals , pumps , timing , etc.

But I did not do headgaskets yet. I've owned the car since 119k and I'll pretty sure there were no HG's replaced before then.

I run 87 octane most of the time. Change oil like it should be done and with a new filter every time.

Post if you have gone deep with your 2.2 version one.

My tranny is the now rare front wheel drive five speed. It's been sounding funky for years now but I think some of that was the clutch TOB holder springs/clips that a guy I let work on it didn't install correctly. Anyhow , the unit is obviously high miles now and was wondering who has rebuilt one or if they survive up over 400k.

Thanks for sharing your Experiences !

In my 95 I'm running a FWD trans out of a 92 with over 280 on it now. I put a main shaft bearing in it a few years ago and it has made funky noises for the last 45,000 miles (though not as funky as it sounded before I replaced the bearing).

It was a $500 car and a $125 transmission. Can't complain too much if it rattles some.

Head gaskets aren't much concern. They're easy to replace and inexpensive. Run it until you start losing coolant then replace them, or just keep topping it off for the next 2-3 years.

OK been off the board for a bit-got the 91 leg 2.2 FWD 5spd at 110K -did normal maint TB WP VC gaskets etc. went thru a couple clutch's, once got flywheel turned they dint seem to g bad any more. brakes and of course a few CV boots. at 310K was a little rough but still ran OK, air idle valve a little squirrely but engine and trans strong. AC was out,  and started screeching like a banshee and was timing belt pulley bearing- - sold on CL to a guy that wanted donor car to fix up his wife's car-after he and his buddy looked said they would switch to his wife's car to be the donor car....... 

The 2.2 will blow HG's around 300k typically. They just wear out. Perfect maintenance will not stop it.

GD

Yeah I figured they'd give sooner than later. My one regret about my last big effort was not doing the HG's. Just not enough time and money at that particular time. Anyways.... I'll pick up the HG's and associated pieces and have them ready.

My dad has a 96 2.2l (nearly identical to the 90-94's) with at least 300k on it, possibly substantially more. The speedometer was broken on it when I got it, and had been for years. It said 260k or so. The guy I bought it from said it hadn't worked the whole time he had it, and bragged of taking it to Canada and Mexico. He was using it daily out west in his business as a farrier. Still runs fine, doesn't use any oil, and gets good MPG. Can't complain. If it ever goes we have the ej22 out of his 95 with only 180k on it to swap in.

Yeah I also have a super low mile engine ready to go but I want to be crazy and cheap and see how long I can go on this engine.

If you haven't seen it yet , check out that old post about highest mileage and see my post on "the professor". He had over 1.5 million miles on an old 1.8 OHV.