Ultimate Subaru Message Board

My piston in cylinder 4 as well as the side of the head for that cylinder has many mark on them and indentions like something got in there. Pulled heads to replace gaskets and seen this didn't see and pieces in the cylinder and have check the heads ports to insure it's not in there . The cylinder walls look good and same as other 3 so I don't think it's piston rings . None of the valves are bent to the eye and they have any signs of indentions . 3rd owner original two owners did t all servicing at the dealership . Has 219,000 on it and ran great up until I changed the plugs and wires , after changing them I went for a drive and had no trouble , went for a ramble on the mountains like I do most nights bout 3 hours round trip . As I was in a gravel section I notice the temp gauge rising slowly but steady rise . So stop car pop the hood and coolant tank looked good and rad didn't feel to hot so thought maybe bouncing on the gravel road some how allow a leak and an air was in the system . Let the car sit for 45 mins and started driving home bout 1 hr drive mostly hwy speeds . No trouble needle didn't move a bit from normal running temp . So next day I decide to flush some coolant out and get some fresh in also get any air out . So I did that and forgot an important part , jacking the front of the car up . So I thought I was good and sealed it up . Went for 4 drives after that all about 30-60 mins long city and hwy . No issues . Went to go on my ramble and headed up the mountain. 2 hours later temp gauge starts to climb and I can sell it's hot . Pull over and coolant is boiling over . Lucky I at least had water in the car and was only 4 miles from some coolant . So got coolant and parked in a empty corner of Wally worlds parking lot and jacked the car up and drained some fluid out then refilled . Let the car run and gas some revs a few times to move water through the system plus was 38 with wind so took time to warm it up . Proceed to head home and spent the next 6 hours stoping ever 10-15 miles to let the motor cool . Next day I buy a burping funnel and try again with constant air coming up . To the point the air bubble is the same size and can be timed . The motor still ran fine , I made sure to not let it get into the red on the temp gauge . Really wondering if it's worth replacing head gasket or get a used motor .