Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Found a good cheap set of catalytic converters on ebay

My 01 Outback's converters gave up the ghost recently at 337000 miles. They were aftermarket and have been patched and repaired numerous times by my local shop since I purchased the car used with 169000 miles on it in 2012.I checked around as did my local exhaust repair shop run by a trusted friend. The cheapest he could find was a $300 set with no gaskets or hardware from Walker that didnt fit so he sent them back. I got on ebay and found a direct fit kit with gaskets and hardware for $165 shipped. They were projected to take a week from Ontario to Front Royal, VA. They arrived in 3 days. We had to heat the pipe in between the 2 converters and bend it down 1/4 inch to keep it from striking one of the heat shield retaining bolts. After that it was a perfect fit. No more leaks and no more PO 420 after 2 trips of my 120 mile round trip commute. The gaskets and the bung they sent for the unused 3rd hole were a perfect fit. I noted the slight fitment issue and gave the vendor a glowing feedback.

We dont have those type of inspections here yet thank God. So long as the CEL isnt on they dont check for anything other than exhaust leaks and that all required emissions equipment is installed. For the price if it lasts a year or two that will be at least 60000 miles for me as I drive 600 miles a week just to work and back. I am hoping to get 500000 miles out of the car and then reevaluate depends on how long the reman motor that has 85000 on it now lasts...