Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Safe temp for ea82

1992 lifted subaru loyale ea82, I recently overheated my motor and blew a headgasket. So I pulled the motor did the dual range trans swap and resealed the top end. I resurfaced my heads at home and didn't touch my oil pump (I know everyone says to do the oil pump but I have an ej I'm building to swap, this is just very temporary, plus, I have never seemed to have an issue with my oil system in anyway.) Anyways I installed a mechanical temp gauge and electric fan instead of my mech one, and have been having issues with what a safe temp should be. From all my research into it everyone just talks about the stock gauge and says whatever it normally is dont let it get too much higher. Well, what is an actual number for a safe temp? I've hit 220 and been terrified because I don't know where these engines are supposed to sit. On my stock gauge it would stay maybe a quarter until I put a lot of stress on the engine then it would climb to 3/4 or so (I've never gotten it to the red on my stock gauge). I have a radiator arriving tomorrow, I have a new water pump (cast propeller not the flimsy one I saw talked about), new rad hoses, new radiator cap, and a new thermostat that is not a stant or OEM, But as for I went with a 170 thermo I'm also going to drill a couple small holes in the top of it so a little water always flows anyways. I had issues even when stock going up the hills close by me and am trying to do everything to combat that while I wait for my ej swap. Back to my question what is a safe temp where should I start to get worried?