Ultimate Subaru Message Board

2002 motor vs 2001 transmission

I am new to this game....just looking for some reliable info on a problem with a 1999 Forester:

Bought this used; apparently had issue with motor and took back to seller for fix. Unbeknownst to us, he decided to replace '99 2.5L engine with '02 same size. But according to part # on transmission, it was only used in '99-'01 models. Now the transmission is leaking (was not previously). I need to know ---- is a 2002 engine compatible with a 1999 transmission??? and where can I get proof that it is not so we have a leg to stand on when we take car back AGAIN???

thanks for your help.

Edited by Sivart

Sivart, consider finding a local shop (ask for a suggestion in a new thread) to inspect the car;

have the mechanic tell you what needs to be done NOW (timing belt service ? when was it done?)

what you should save up for (struts? inner tie rods? brakes ?)

what you might live with (squeaks, drips, burned-out dash bulbs, etc.)

Where exactly is the transmission leaking?  If it is the input seal area behind the torque converter then yes, it's possible it could have been damaged during the engine swap.  If it's leaking somewhere else, then you should just fix it and move on.

• Like 1

Thank you for your help Silent Bob. We will check your suggestion.

As for the other negative comment, of course I knew there would be problems with an 18 YO car (it only had 92K at the time) ..... the issue was the mechanic switching engines w/o asking us first and creating another problem in the process.

It's not negative. It's the truth. I deal with this stuff every. single. day.

Low mileage cars that are very old usually have more problems than higher mileage cars. They haven't had their proper maintenance, they haven't been "burned in" with trial by fire, and many times flawed design elements have not been corrected - you'll be needing both rear wheel bearings soon for example. Those were a flawed design. Not to mention the horrible problems with 99 to 02 head gasket external coolant leaks, etc....

They probably did you a huge favor - they would not have done an engine swap unless the old one had some serious problems.

As stated unless the trans is leaking from the torque converter (input) seal then it's not related. These transmissions routinely leak from the wiring harness area. DO NOT attempt to fix this. It requires a new harness from the dealer and many hours of labor. It's up near $1k to fix that and they all do it. So just leave it. If it's the pan then reseal it with ATF safe RTV.

GD

Edited by GeneralDisorder