Ultimate Subaru Message Board

self diagnostic code - 5 flashes in every mode.

I'm determined to get my 88 dl 4wd running again. I was driving 3 years ago when the check engine light came on, 4 days later it just died while driving. I think the green connectors were plugged in the entire 4 days by accident. This all happened a couple of weeks after I purchased my new truck so the Subaru just went under the carport.

This week I started crawling around inside it again. It won't start just like 3 years ago so pulled a fuel line and the pump works. Pulled a spark plug and no spark. My multi meter isn't the best but the plug seems ok, the wires are good, and the coil is new. Then I remembered the check engine self-diagnostic. However, no matter what mode, nothing connected, just green connected, or just white connected all I get are 5 fast flashes a 3 sec pause then another 5 fast flashes. This does not seem right as there is no "05" code. I was wondering if anyone knew why this is happening? Also, have I created a new issue driving around with the green connectors connected? Thanks

5 flashes is a model identifier.  SPFI 49st MT

it means you have no codes.

Although, if you have only hooked up the connectors, and not actually run a full cycle of Over 2k rpms for 40 sec. and drive forward at least 1mph.........blah blah..... in d-check or read mode (green/ white connectors respectively) you will not get the full story.

Check that the rotor actually turns when cranking.....Could be broken drivers side t-belt.

Edited by Gloyale

Running around with the green connectors connected doesn't hurt anything, you just don't want to so the system functions as intended.

Most of time when it won't start or run at all, it's something basic. Most of the codes are a sensor out of spec, solenoid coil open, that kind of thing.