Ultimate Subaru Message Board

im doing my first automatic tranny swap in a 98 legacy sedan. Tranny code is TZ102ZACAA_DR i have a 96 donor but the tranny has a different input shaft. what years and models would i get a compatible tranny out of? i dont know much about sooby trannies so any info would be awesome.

Hi and Welcome,

Although covered on here, and online, the short answer is 'the 1996 should work'.  

I'm not saying you're 'wrong' about the input shaft, but this is the 1st time I've heard of that issue. What's the TZ code on the '96?

Longer answer: Any transmission from '90-'98 will bolt up, but the Final Drive Ratio is the main difference:

For Automatic = 4EAT - Legacy, Forester, Impreza:

'90-'91 = 4.11

'92-'94 and all '91-'94 Turbos  = 3.90

'95 are all 4.11

'96-'98 EJ22/2.2  = 4.11

'96-'98 EJ25/2.5 = 4.44

I suggest you read up some more as there are other things to watch out for.

GL,

TD

Big issue is reseating the torque converter.  Often it seems like it is installed far enough and people try to use the bolts to pull the last quarter inch and end up breaking the pump resulting in an inoperable transmission.  There are some good videos/posts on this on the internet (see wtdash post above)

Should be the same transmission and swap all day long except final drive ratio.

You can install any final drive ratio trans you want if you also swap the rear diff to match.

Post a picture if the input shaft differences you're experiencing.

Shouldnt matter but tell us the vehicles to be clear:

98 legacy what - 2.5 or 2.2?

1996 what - SVX Impreza Legacy AWD FWD 1.8 2.2 2.5.,...?

Input shaft shouldn't be an issue anyway, since you need to be using the torque converter that came with the new trans. Do NOT try to use your old TC, because it will be full of metal/friction pieces from the failed trans. Sounds to me like, as Mike104 said, someone pulled the TC off, and hasn't got it seated all the way, leaving the trans looking like it is different.