Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I now have four TZ102ZM1AA-KP trans, all bad for one reason or anorher, was trying to buy one from a junkyard on E. coast, he called an said that the pinion had climbed the ring gear and broken out of the final drive case.  The one I have in my car now has the same problem, but hasn't busted out yet, I parked it.  There is an instance of this on YouTube somewhere, too.  I've pulled the dif case of of 2 of these trans, both show pinion running at edge of crown gear.  (These are high-mile trans).

Talked with 3 rebuilders about this.  None would "repair" the trans.  One claimed 3.54 final NLA, so I offered to buy one from Subaru ($450 handed to you) if he'd install it, he flat refused.  Another wouldn't accepet my old box as core unless he inspected the R&P, I have the impression that no local shops actually do anything the whatever to 4EAT, they sell you a re-build done elswhere, or a new box, and they cant get core credit for bad/busted R&P.  I suspect that the 229 ft/lb torque from the 3.3 engine warps the dif case on the SVX and causes this, but have not inspected any other Soob 4EATs, I'd like to get a look at a high mile Outback R&P.

May wind up rebuilding my own box, got plenty of cores..

Having failed to find a useable auto box for my '94 SVX, I've found a fellow who will sell me his STI six-speed.  Nobody seems to know if it will actually bolt to the 3.3 engine, Subaru could care less.

Anybody out there with experience in this swap?  I've heard rumor that the 6-speed is a lot stronger than the various 5-speeds, but Soob trans seem to be a pretty slippery subject..

If it will bolt up, I do know to check the final drive ratios and spline count..

TIA

There was a guy in Oregon who actually made a complete swap kit.  If the lookup SVX with Manual Transmission they tell you what is needed.  I also remember reading on a SVX site that a guy had pics of one that was completed

Wish I could, but   I live in California, where no SVX will pass smog with a stick shift, I discussed this at length with the smog police..  Their attitude is that the letter of the law must be observed or else.  Since Subaru never produced an SVX w/stick, If you show up to smog one with a stick, they will pronounce it tampered with, and fail the car.  They don't really seem care that that  modification has nearly no effect on actual emissions, there is no leeway, it's black and white.

Just one of many absolutely mental laws and regs in California.

Further incentive to move to one of the free states..

There was a guy in Oregon who actually made a complete swap kit.  If the lookup SVX with Manual Transmission they tell you what is needed.  I also remember reading on a SVX site that a guy had pics of one that was completed

Wish I could, but   I live in California, where no SVX will pass smog with a stick shift, I discussed this at length with the smog police..  Their attitude is that the letter of the law must be observed or else.  Since Subaru never produced an SVX w/stick, If you show up to smog one with a stick, they will pronounce it tampered with, and fail the car.  They don't really seem care that that  modification has nearly no effect on actual emissions, there is no leeway, it's black and white.

Just one of many absolutely mental laws and regs in California.

Further incentive to move to one of the free states..

If I remember correct, a company/guy on the net use to rebuild the transmissions... it would take a little searching to find him, maybe he still does it.

Edited by 06SubLegTx