Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hey, USMB. Long time no talk.

So I am currently experiencing an issue with the A/C in my 1995 Legacy wagon. The compressor will no longer turn on unless I take the A/C fuse out from the engine bay relay box and put it back in while the car is running. After varying lengths of time, the compressor then turns back off and I have to repeat this cycle. This is totally new to me and I've run out of ideas as to what to do next.

Things to note-

1- Nothing has been altered since the last time I used the A/C

2- When it's running, the A/C is great. No real issues to speak of

3- This isn't only sudden oddity to happen with this car recently. For some unknown reason- much like the A/C issue- if I keep my car's ignition in the ON position (not ACC or Run), my dash glows very dimly and so do my exterior lights. In the "on" position, these lights shouldn't be on at all, much less so dim.

4- Probably related; if I have the A/C button turned on inside the car, whether or not the compressor is running, the light behind the A/C button dimly flashes with the rhythm of the turn signal.

If anyone has any ideas on where to go next, pleas let me know. I'm running out of patience.

Thanks!

also look at any 1157-type bulb. turn signal/marker/brake combo or w'ever. The dual filaments occasionally 'sag' and odd things can happen when marker lights or turn signals are on.

also look in the bottom of each bulb's socket for corrosion.

also, longshot but, test for a change in the problems with the tailgate up - maybe wiring problem inside the 'boot' from the body to the hatch.

Edited by 1 Lucky Texan
  • Like 1

I hear your confusion - I've seen countless ground wires disconnected with no running issues. You can totally disconnect grounds and the car drives fine.

1. I've seen that like a hundred times

2. I've never yet encountered a Subaru with ground wire issues except in the battery cables.

In my experience the odds are heavily stacked against finding your issue on a ground wire

id check the alternator and brake bulbs first.

Battery cables are commonly problematic but I can't see them causing those issues while running.

• Like 1

Boy oh boy, this is gonna be oodles of fun. Alright... I'll go out and start raising my blood pressure here in a little while and report back with my findings as soon as I can. Thanks for the help so far, everyone.

Just an update-

I can't get the car to recreate the problem. I am very happy about this, but I fear it will happen again at the most inopportune time. Like my 500 mile road trip I'm leaving for tomorrow. I tested the grounds and all seemed to be ok. The only thing I noticed was that the negative lead on the battery is *kind* of loose. But nothing else seemed out of the ordinary. All lights checked out fine and all wires are where they should be.

Also- my wife's Legacy decided that it no longer needed a proper seal around the oil pump and now it's leaking all over the place. So I've got that going for me.

Never a dull moment with cars over 10 years old.