Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Anyone ever swap  one of these:

2.0L 4-CAM DUAL AVCS TURBO AUTO ENGINE JDM EJ20X  (or EJ20Y) into 

a Turbo Charged 2004 Baja? (turbo only available from 2004 MY not 2003 like in title)

I'm assuming the Baja came with a 2.5L Turbo (the car has a factory turbo on it)

Any thoughts would be appreciated

Edited by Mike104

The trick is going to be cam position sensors and trigger points. You will probably have to block the exhaust AVCS camshaft oil passages and use the Baja exhaust timing sprockets. Assuming the camshaft position sensors on the intake cams are compatible or can be swapped.... It should work. Ask for pictures to confirm.

GD

• Like 1

From Cars101 it shows that the 2004/2005 and maybe 2006 use a Active Valve Control System with Variable Valve Timing (V.V.T)  so perhaps the JDM EJ20Y (manual) or EJ20X (automatic) may work?

Not really an issue now since the owner decided to replace the engine instead of selling it  :( 

Turns out it was a 2005MY

For USA Subarus, 2005 was the 1st year of the return of the MAF-based engines (EJ253), w/out the i-Avls system, which started on '06+ models.

I'd shy away from any engine that didn't match up w/the i-AVLS system.....less hassle.

Should be enough of the NON-avls EJ20's out there to make it work w/your Baja's Intake Manifold?