Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Engine "upgrade" maybe?

Does anyone know if the engine mounts of a 1956 porche speedster are the same as the mounts of a '88 subaru GL hatchback? They look the same and it looks like it could work.all the numbers add up but I am still not sure. I also want to know if anyone has ever done it befor?

to my knowledge nobody has done this before and I have no Idea how close the mounts are to each other.

you would have to make an engine to transmission adaptor and modify the engine mounts.

what size engine is this and how much power does it make?

it may be too big for the engine compartment or too powerfull for the transmission, but probabaly not, since it is a 50's engine.

the porche engine is a 1600cc that makes just around 209 hp. Both engins are 4-cyl boxer engines. And the mesurements that i've taken tell me that I would need to cut a 1" by 1" hole th the hood for one of the carbs. Other than that, I dont know.

It would be a really cool car if it could work though. :D

either way, the engine is small enough to fit, but that is way too much power for either type, over twice that of the more powerfull of the two, neither transmission could take it, you would have to take a tranny from an EJ car and adapt it, which means you neeed to make transmission mounts, a driveshaft, and halfshafts to fit it in, and modify the shift linkages probabaly

thanks for the info on the difference between the two ea's. and your right, the trans axle wouldn't take it. do you think if i put the actual transmission from the porche, and put it in the subaru, do u think that would work? I know that I would need to modify the subaru's cluch and stuff but after all that, it could work, dont you think? to me, it sounds good but easer

said than done.

sorry if I am not being all that clear.

you mean putting both the engine and transmission in?

I assume that the porshe is a front engine, rear wheel drive car and you have a 4 wheel drive subaru right?

then if the transmission fits it could be done, you will probabaly have to use a stronger axle, and the porshe has probabaly a solid axle, which wouldn't work in the subaru, you might have to get a legacy rear axle and adapt it to fit in

(p.s. you have an EA82, EA81's have 4 headlights usually (GL=4/DL=2), a 4 speed manuals, and ohv carbs unless turboed, then it's mpfi)

The 5 speed 4WD or AWD from the RX's or XT6 would work, and would handle the power easily. You would need an adaptor, but that's probably not all that hard if you can cut some aluminium plate.

Sounds to me like you have an EA81 2WD 5 speed. Overhead valve. These engines can be built up to around 100 HP without much trouble (80 HP stock). Upwards of 140 HP has been done for aircraft, and turbo and supercharged versions have been built up to around 200 HP.

GD

thats interesting about the plates. and you think a XT6 could handle the power?

i dont know about the guy who put the ea in the speedster. are you shure it was a porche? that seems redundent but who am i to say. i want to put a 209 hp engine in a subaru. thats redundent. :headbang:

okay then, you have an EA82.

if the transmission can take the power, and I don't think it can, you wound just have to make an adaptor.

what I said before is probabaly true, you would have to adapt a legacy tranny to the car and the engine, which is alot of work

it was worth asking, if you want more power in your subaru you could swap in a legacy 2.2 engine, that would be 130-145HP and it would work with the stock transmission, just make an adaptor, wire it up, do alot more stuff and you have it, plus it's been done before so you can get alot better advice

There are people running around in XT6's with 250 HP, so the transmission's can handle it, no worries there. The EA82 5 speed tranny is really no different than a WRX 5 speed in design. If one wished, you could open it up and strengthen a few choice bits and have essentially the same thing as a WRX EJ tranny, but in an EA casing. The only really totally *new* transmission that Subaru has come out with since 85 is the STi 6 speed. The beauty of the XT6 tranny is that it's aready a 3.9 final drive just like your 3-door, and is a direct bolt in. Not to mention it's an AWD (they called it Full-Time-4WD back then).

GD