Ultimate Subaru Message Board

99 Legacy Outback Phase II Transmission Stub Shaft

Had the right front control arm fold up on me while I was on the freeway!

Got to the shoulder and called AAA for a tow home.  Conveniently I happened to have a new control arm at home.

During the event the stub shaft (that the inboard end of the axle attaches to) came out of the transmission, it's still attached to the drive axle.

I can't seem to insert the stub shaft into the transmission with the drive axle attached.  I've tried to rotate the drive axle and push the whole assembly into the transmission but it won't go all the way in.

Do the stub shaft's just push into the transmission?  There appears to be a circlip at the end of the stub shaft perhaps that needs to be compressed?

Would it be easier to push out the roll pin that attaches the drive axle to the stub shaft and install the stub shaft into the transmission and then install the drive axle onto the stub shaft?

Yes, pull the axle half shaft and then you can insert and seat the stub shaft with a rubber dead blow hammer of wood block and hammer.

I'd also take a close look at the diff half shaft seal to make sure it's not damaged.  If it needs to be changed, you may as well change it now.

• Like 2

Did what Larry suggested (removed drive axle from car, and removed stub shaft from drive axle).  Axle seal was good so I reinstalled the stub shaft with a long piece of wood and a hammer.  Popped right in!  Control arm in and all back together.  Cleaned and lubed brake caliper slides and pads clips while I was there.

Just needs an alignment and I should be good to go.

Were they original OEM control arms that rusted through?  Wow. 

I've been able to also tap them in place on the vehicle - axle pulled out - just tap the OD of the inner joint with a piece of 2x4 and it'll eventually seat in place.  But with what you had happen it was better to pull and inspect!

Were they original OEM control arms that rusted through?  Wow. 

I've been able to also tap them in place on the vehicle - axle pulled out - just tap the OD of the inner joint with a piece of 2x4 and it'll eventually seat in place.  But with what you had happen it was better to pull and inspect!

Yes it was the original control arm (18 yrs and 485k miles)

Was it rusty?

What's the other side look like?

It was rusty.  Had a replacement one on hand to change it but my resident Subie tech (youngest son) said it was "too short" when he tried to install it.  It was on my list of things to do but didn't get to it.  I was able to install it without issue.

Car is currently at dealer for ball joint replacement and alignment.  I have requested they check the other side.