Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Fb swap?

Yep, what those guys said. Adding a HUGE dose of complication and expense....for what? Maybe with the direct injection you could get better mileage, but that would be very dependent on the tune, which would have to be custom. And it's going to take a long time to regain the several thousand dollar cost of good management.

Oh yea, it'll burn twice as much oil.

Yea, you wouldn't have to replace a timing belt. Whew, saved a couple hundred bucks there!

Maybe a bit more power, but there are cheaper ways to get that (EZ30 comes to mind).

Edited by Numbchux

Yep, what those guys said. Adding a HUGE dose of complication and expense....for what? Maybe with the direct injection you could get better mileage, but that would be very dependent on the tune, which would have to be custom. And it's going to take a long time to regain the several thousand dollar cost of good management.

Oh yea, it'll burn twice as much oil.

Yea, you wouldn't have to replace a timing belt. Whew, saved a couple hundred bucks there!

Maybe a bit more power, but there are cheaper ways to get that (EZ30 comes to mind).

Not after power just thinking of a cooler swap, I've already been told the ej25 is too much for my car and I refuse to swap trans I'm staying dual range. Looks like I'm sticking with the ej swap lol

The short block rebuild on those is pretty intense.

The issue is going to be electrical - the immobilizer systems on the CANBUS cars are nuts. They hook into a whole bunch of other computers and the dash cluster.... it's super ugly. Standalone maybe. But expect to be in it an arm and a d!ck.

GD

This'll be the first fb I've done, 2011 forester already has a rod knock from running out of oil. Got the motor out today, some slight differences from the standard ej. Be interesting putting the new motor together

Not after power just thinking of a cooler swap, I've already been told the ej25 is too much for my car and I refuse to swap trans I'm staying dual range. Looks like I'm sticking with the ej swap lol

But the fb25 makes more horsepower and torque than the sohc ej25.