Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Noisy valve after warm up

Hey guys new at this, I installed an ea81 from a 81 gl into my 70 ghia. Love the engine, but lately I noticed a valve ticking after warm up or what I think is a valve noise. Wondering if anyone can give me ideas where to look. I just replaced the oil pump due to oil leaks. I tried adjusting the valves on the passenger side, but I still hear it. Thanks for any help.

I read through that, I will try adjusting tightly, the only thing I did not see mentioned is the fact that mine only do it after the engine is warmed.

Mine get louder once when they warm up too... thats the way a lot of solid lifter noise works. As the oil warms up and gets less thick, the valves get louder. Honestly, even after tightening them up, it is still ticks noticeably. But it has helped for sure

I adjusted them to 6 and 8 it help, but I still have the noise and it sounds like it is only one. I am starting to wonder if I have a bent push rod. The engine has 95k only, and the valve noise started about 300 mikes back. I will also try using 30w oil to see if it helps. Thanks for your replies. I will update.