Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hi guys; Bought a 02 outback wagon recently.  This car was produced in the US but was built for the BC market. I'm wondering about the final drive ratio.  This car has lower rpm readings than any other automatic US outback I've driven.  75 mph and its pulling 2000 rpm's...  all others run closer to 3000 rpm...  Tire size is stock outback 225x60x16  ???  Did produced for Canada outback get the 4:11 final drive , like a US legacy ?  All the US outback's seem to have the 4:44  ratio...  How can I decode the tranny code or the rear diff. ?  With the current set up this car is getting 29-30 mpg ... much better than my MT outbacks that run a steady 26-27 mpg.  Customer is wanting a replacement tranny and I want to confirm things beforehand, any help is appreciated !   

There should be a transmission code sticker on the bellhousing near the starter. Assuming it's the original transmission, it'll be the same code that's on the plate on the driver's strut tower. Google that code, and you'll probably get your answer.

Or call a Canadian dealership (US catalogs can't decode Canadian VINs) with the VIN

No on the 3.0 and interestingly enough the speedo is mph with kph in the back and the odometer reads miles.  But the temp is in Celsius ...and the under hood sticker says Canadian emissions ?  Odd ... I don't have the car here as its sold, so I will have to get the tranny number as soon as I can. I do remember it matches the vin plate #. I will try a goggle on the tranny # asap.   

Finally got a look at the trans # on the Canadian 02 obw   After a little searching "TZ1A4ZCDBA-RM"  Is the same transmission used in the us cars.  4:44 differential .  I'm curious that if they replaced the instrument cluster to get a mph speedo , then why the Celsius temp gauge ?  I'm wondering if the Vancouver , BC market gets mph speedos because of the proximity to the US ??