Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Welp, I bought a Subaru (the trouble with licensing it)

I'll possess it on Friday. . . 94 legacy, AT AWD, 157k. Runs like a champ, somewhat clean body, good and straight, perfect interior. The underside is pretty ugly though, lots of rust. You'd think the tax payers would come up with a better way to get snow off the road than friggin salt. Car dealers must love it.

Only cost a 1000 bucks, the dealer said so cuz it has "high miles". lol Freedom indeed. I'll be calling you soon Moosey.

I'm sure it's typical rust that won't damage the structure for another few years.But,I can't tell without looking.Good luck with it Eric.

If you get it to Nebraska maybe it'll stop rusting....at least slow down.

Eric,remove the fender's lower bolts and move the plastic wheel well aside and get the crap out from behind there.Wash the insides of all wheel wells but especially the rear.Get the crap out from around the gas filler tube too.

Probably wanted to bring back a prime example of east coast rust for his Subaru museum out here. People will walk by and say "look children - that's what real rust looks like - aren't you glad we live in a civilized state that chooses not to prematurely abort young subaru's?"

Either that, or he just had to save at least one lucky soob from certain death by a salt induced rust coma.

GD

Back in the "day" when I was actively involved in rallying (in NJ of all places), I had a 510 sedan which I sold to a friend who took it off my hands in spite of the rust. He bondoed and fiberglassed and still got a good three years of hard rallying out of it. He had a large sign painted on it--both sides: Rust Never Sleeps!

Guys it looks to me that he bought the car for his daughter and wants to deliver it on the way back to Seattle. That way he has a ride the rest of the way home. The car doesnt appear to be headed back to the PNW any time soon just good old Nebraska. They salt in Nebraska but he was smart to buy a Legacy with the thicker sheetmetal than the old GL's have. Around here, unless Mick or I own it, all the GL's are bondo or rust filled at best.

What a great 1st car this will be.

Indee, I did buy it to take it to Nebraska to give to my daughter. I also bought it to give myself some freedom from having to share the company truck with 3 other co-workers. s for a road trip, I did that on the way here. Now that I've seen what's on the other side of the mountains from Seattle, I never wanna see it all again. How many corn fields can one person take?

As for a legacy over a loyale. I'v had 5 ea82's, I never plan to own one again, they've left a pretty bad taste in my mouth. ej22's kick rump roast.

In New York, before you can have plates and registration, you need to have insurance. No problem. I called my agent, she gladly added the new car to my policy, gonna cost me 138 bucks for 6 months. And, if I cancel it with in 6 months, which I will whe I give it to my daughter, she'll pro-rate teh policy and give me money back. Whoohoo, gonna cost me about 40 bucks to insure it for 6 weeks or so.

So I take my proof of insurance to the DMV. They tell me that insurance isn't good enough, I need to have New York State insurance. OK fine. I call around for insurance. Gonna cost me 286 bucks for 6 months to start a new policy, and they'll charge me 50 bucks if I cancel it within 6 months. . . Whooboy! Gonna cost me 350 instead of 40 bucks. I also had to get my hotel manager to write a letter saying I live there and that my utilities are included so I can prove "garaging" (as in the car is really in New York) Dip*****s! Another 60 bucks, (not 40 like the dealer told me) and I now have license plates and a sticker good till 2006. Only need it till 8/04. . . Criminey.

To top it all off, I put gas in it to find it has a leak in one of the gas lines out of the tank. . . Got it to slow a little, looks like I'll have to mess with it tomorrow, meaning more gas and crap all over me. I had meant to jump in and head for Moosey and Connecticut to invade for the weekend, we're off till Tuesday, but don't wanna drive it that far with a gas leak. :(

I'll try again when I get back from my Seattle trip in a week. Or, maybe I'll just plan on heading that way on my way to Nebraska in a month or so. I can take longer that way. . .

dont you just love a leaky gas tank:D anyway that's waht i would do what tim said.

indiana requires proof of insurance before registering. and a license before driving:brow: but you can own a title regardless. anyway, title 15 bucks, plates 29 bucks, insurance 90 bucks a month. a year ago my age was high risk, 135 bucks a month

i sust keep a policy number on my reg, and if i didnt have ins. when i registered it, at least the policy number on the reg. will assume so. that's what i did to get a plate on the RX to move it to michigan and park it. i'll buy insurance when i drive it.

my insurance dude will write me up for 6 mo.s. but if i dont pay the 2nd month, it cancells. but i can go in any time and reinstate it, like the policy resets, sort of a month at a time as i need it. ins dude cool like that

in indiana, you can transfer a plate from one car to another for 30 days with a dated title or a bill of sale. so long as you "dont have or sold" the previous car.

if i were to go to new york and get a car, i could have done that. may not fly in other states, but it would be legal for 30 days in indaian, even with the NY title as long as there was prrof of sale within 30 days(insurance assumed)