Ultimate Subaru Message Board

rebuilding EA82-T

how hard is it to completly rebuild a EA82T, i mean new rings, bearings, everything, i am going to do this soon, i have rebuilt many chevies, but no subies yet.

also any tips on how to do things and tips on tools i will need will be greatly apreaciated.

Thanks,

Shean

You'll have no problem with a good manual and proper tools.You need torque wrenches that measure ft. lbs and inch lbs or newtons.You will also need the large allen socket to remove the block plugs.Use a good sealant ,clean everything spotless,check all clearences,and use proper lubricants during assemble.All of this is stuff you've done on chevy or any engine rebuild.I rebuild most all engines including subarus and found them to be easy to do.I would recomend that on turbo engines of any make you use the best head gaskets available.Good luck with your rebuild!

Toughest problem I ran into is getting the wrist pins out, have to make a tool, I exparemented with taking a really long screwdriver bend the end to have a hook on the end. That didn't have quite the force I needed and everytime I tryed to pull the handle would pull off. Then I got some all-thread and a couple nuts, I think it was 1/4x20 monkyed with that and finllly got them all in/out.

About the allen wrench you really DON'T need one you have the tool right on the motor, the really funny big allen bolt that holds the accessory bracket on is the perfect fit. Just put one end in the plug and then get a wrench on the end sticking out, saved me a lot of headake (s)

Also some needle nosed plies to put the wrist pin keepers back on.

I used the fel-pro lower and upper gasket kit and it had everything I needed.

Good luck!!! you won't regret rebuilding it.

GMTA! LOL. My husband right now is doing this same rebuild. This is for my 89 GL10T. He found someone local to borrow that special Subaru Tool for pulling those wrist pins. He had them all done in 5 minutes. The real kick about this tool is that it was ONLY issued to Subaru dealers and now they don't even use them anymore. It is kind of a slide hammer deal thingie! The only problem so far with ours is a burnt piston.......Arghhhhh!

Good luck and have fun knowing it will go for another 200,000 miles.

Linda

Hey Toy builder, part 1 and part 2 links did not work. Part 3 sure looks great ready to go back in. I printed the pic to show my husband how I want mine to look going back. Let me tell you it was grimy coming out. He just removed it yesterday. Today called to tell me about the burnt piston. I don't think we have found a new one yet. I hope this doesn't hold us up too much. This is so much fun I can't stand it. Of course, today my hands aren't greasy. Yesterday was a different story. (I played grease monkey for a couple of hours.):)

Linda