Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Odd click sound from 2.5 impreza

I am hearing this odd clicking noise coming from the passenger side (left side when looking under the hood) of the engine. It's a 2.5 in a 2007 impreza wagon with 85000 miles. I got a quick video of it so that you guys can hear it.

https://youtu.be/C10vZi-sxHI

I don't own the car, but I'm potentially going to buy it and I'm always scared of engine noises. I checked the codes and got back p0026 and p0029. I also can hear the timing belt tensioner (or so I believe it to be) rattle at high rpm. I'm not afraid of it needing a timing belt job, but I am scared that something could be up with the engine. I drove the car and it seems fine, but the clicking noise at idle scares me.

I appreciate any and all constructive input! I can't afford to buy a lemon right now, but an impreza wagon is everything I'm looking for in a vehicle.

Those codes point to the i-AVLS system correct? That's too new (yeah, I'm old school) so not familiar, but $ound$ expen$ive to fix. Maybe just needs new sensors? Oil change history? EJ-series need regular oil changes.

No offense (or not much) but if you can't afford a lemon, keep looking. No reason to start on the wrong side of the purchase. UNLESS you have the skilz and time to fix it?

and it'll likely need Head Gaskets (HG) in the near future.

Td

Edited by wtdash

The codes seem easy enough to fix. The p0026 is the variable valve timing sensor from my research (not sure how bad that can effect things, but the name scares me), and I believe the other is an exhaust solenoid or something. I do have the skills to do most things minus engine work, and at the price I can get it for I can afford a timing belt job (it's due for it just about anyways regardless of the tensioner failing)

And no offense taken. If it's that bad keep it coming. I normally wouldn't consider this kind of deal but the car is in great shape and I can't find much on the market that fits every need I have like an impreza wagon, and options are slim out there right now. Craigslist is mostly scammers now days it seems...

What does the sound say to you guys? Is it that bad?? If it is please explain. I need logic to stop my ignorance. Also why do you say it will need a head gasket soon?