Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I already have a thread on being scammed because of my check engine light so I may as well air my laundry.

Because of this great forum, I was able to determine that the timing belt has been done. However, I can't say for certain if the headgaskets were done. There aren't any leaks and coolant is clean. If HGs weren't done, is there a rough longevity number I should be aware of?

2006 Outback 2.5 auto trans non turbo

No. There’s no consistent mileage. Theres a crude average but that’s wildly inaccurate as a “longevity” marker for any one individual vehicle. They fail at low and high mileages.

If you’re going to replace the gaskets then time it with some other work (like timing kit or VVGs) or just do it and be done with it and reap the value over the next 100,000+ miles.

Anyone giving you a mileage is making up numbers or talking anecdotally about 3 whole cars they know about.

Edited by idosubaru
  • Like 1

If they're not leaking now, 50k + before you even need to consider looking at them.

If they are leaking, keep an eye on them and when coolant loss becomes a constant problem (need to add every week or so) then think about changing them.

More than likely if the TB was done and the head gaskets are not leaking they've been replaced.

Edited by Fairtax4me

Yeah, by all means.........(know the vehicle)...............   check the oil frequently......  check the coolant.........

monitor   it's  behavior.........

and observe...............

I got to hear some stuff today on a boxer  motor that I have..(1.8L)..291k.......  It is so cold out...here........

Got to hear gurgling in the heating system   when I first started it up.................

I may be due....... soon........    I just warm the car up to operating temp  before........

getting the   REV's up.......... that seems to help for the time being.............

It is best to not open Pandora's box........  If the gaskets are not leaking  just watch and observe.......

I have had  5 - 1.8L......(five different cars).....  one motor made it to  220k without leaking....

some leaked oil... some leaked coolant.... some leaked both..........

Definitely monitor oil and coolant levels to prevent premature engine death due to oil starvation and no coolant.  Check the engine oil when it's cold and the coolant by opening the rad cap (assuming the 06's still have them).

As stated above those engines can leak oil/coolant through head gaskets so as long as the fluid levels are maintained.  At some point if you have leaking head gaskets you get tired of the leaks and fix them.

No hard and fast mileage number for them to leak.  Keep an eye for external oil/coolant leaks and check those levels often.