Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Looking for suppliers new EA82 mpfi TPS 4 pin (non Spider)

jono

I found a reference to a crowd called Schmucks who sold one to a user.

I have looked at Rock with not even finding a TPS let alone price and availability.

Autozone claim to do one but asks for my zip code but as I am not in US I used Grayland WA as a zip and it sent me through captcha and still no like me !

It wont like a four digit postcode we use in Oz !!

Not going that way US$300 plus !!

Checking my memory on things, Series 1 mpfi that I know of was either XT NA or RX Turbo and they used what the manuals refer to in the diagnostic trouble codes [and there is two trouble codes] as Idle switch and WOT switch. Three wires, one being a common to both circuits - EARTH. Three pins on the TPSwitch and the manual shows the arrangement of the pins

The other manual I have is for 87 XT only and has two trouble codes also involving the TPSensor , one code for idle switch, the other code for the throttle sensor - a variable output in Volts I hope - the test is for Ohms !

This one has four pins, and the manual does NOT show arangement of the pins

Then there is the spfi which does not get a mention in either of my factory manuals for Series 1 or 87 XT

No mention of parts in the parts manuals either

The spfi has a TPsensor of four pin variety

The odd bit of the XT Spider TPSensor is due to the roational direction of the TPSensor to work backwards in comparison to mpfi NA 88 onwards and spfi

The spfi 4 pin and the 88 on TPSensor may be the one and same part number

anyone got part number for spfi TPSensor?

22633AA010 is for 87 non spidey

22633AA051 is for 88 - 91 mpfi

22633AA050 88 turbo

Oh, and the US also got NA Spiders too ?? We didnt !!

Actually. my device that I am going to install only needs one input of 0 to 5 Volts maybe 0.5 to 5V so any of the cheap ones available that turn the right way and have same size throttle shaft and cut away could do the job. Five bucks for a TPS !!

This  https://www.efihardware.com/products/2502/TPS-Kit-Including-Bosch-TPS

might solve a problem for others that may be trying to use a spider and its throttle body on a Series 2 EA82 as it works clockwise or counter clockwise !! Nope, sorry, this is a three wire job so does not have an idle position switch, nothing to say they dont have something though

But not for those needing a simple TPSwitch on series one mpfi

Edited by jono

Lookas like there is no 4 pin TPS for standard log style inlet manifold mpfi EA82 , just the spfi and spiders have 4 pin TPSensors

Also looks like this forum has been mine alone last 24 hours - what happened, calendar turn over? Y 2.17K Bug ??

Reckon I got this one sorted Bennie [theoretically anyway :) ] thanks. The efihardware seemed to be the way to go, then I found my spfi four pin has some cousins staying nearby, the three pin Series 1 and series 2 3[which is really only two pins/wires] plus the three wire round plug sensor hok up

Gees, you'd think I d finish one project before think about another wouldnt ya !

Still gotta pull EA82T heads off, swap near new valve springs onto spare heads, reassemble. Strip down AWD box to fix what i fubbergusted, then load it all into B3. B3 engine can then go into B2. The EJ22 can go in a crate for a while while I play with wires and maybe do a Bennie and get it all working on the bench LPG conversion and all in readiness for something down the track. About to pull a 150,000km ea81 to slap my turbo conversion gear on out of curiosity and stop for a breathe....