Ultimate Subaru Message Board

intake manifolds of all EJs, interswap?

forgetting any electrical switches or sensors and the like, will all EJ intake manifolds through whole range of models, sizes and years physically bolt up to any other EJ? Was there one that had a smaller swept volume?

As far as I know (and GD will likely prove me wrong :)), all phase 1's should interchange. And all phase 2's should interchange. You can put a phase 2 heads & intake on a phase 1 block, and vice-versa. And you can run a phase 2 with phase 1 ECU (I am doing so, I have a early 98 (EJ20J) Forester ECU running a 92 EJ205 Frankenmotor).

Phase 1 includes the dual cam engines like the EJ25D and they do NOT share intake patterns. Phase 2 is entirely different, turbo's are different, and besides that due to entirely different idle control systems you can't interchange any of the manifolds easily between phases anyway as the manifold must match the heads but also the ECU's preferred idle control design. 

GD