Ultimate Subaru Message Board

90 loyale power steering

I seem to keep adding power steering fluid. Where does it go?? I don't seem to have any major external leak? Is there any problem with filling beond "capacity"?

Hey Bro-

Search and find this thread:

P/S pump is noisy........should I replace?

Meanwhile, I just added about 2 teaspoons of p/s fluid to my loyale. Only because I finally checked the level for the first time in about 5 years. You've got a leak. Pump seals or hoses. Haynes manual is pretty good on pump removal steps. I think the seals in the pump can be renewed, but I've never done it. Then there's the junkyard option. Then there's the do-nothing option. There are actually people out there who have simply disconnected the p/s belt (thus gaining a boost in power from reduced load on the engine) automatically converting their car into a non-power steering vehicle. Consensus seems to be that it's not a safety issue, as you will retain steering control even if there is complete failure of the pump. Personally, I'd find and fix the leak.

Bill

Look down on the passangers side of the engine bay. YOull see your power steering lines come down from the engine, nexto the rocker covers, and to some fittings on top of the main crossmember. Could be leaking at those fittings.

Also get way up under your car back behind the oil pan. The steering rack sits above the main corssmember. Look for signs of powersteering fluid thats been seeping from above. The rack itself could be leaking at either end.

The tanks can aslo sweat some fluid right on the pump there. Cant really notice it a lot of times as it leaks from behind or below. Just leaving a slight film or sludge below on top of the block.

Honestly a slow PS leak is not a big deal. Ive had them leak for years on several cars. Just keep it topped off and you are good to go. I wouldnt worry about it too much unless you notice it getting drasticly worse OR if its affecting your steering/control at all.