Ultimate Subaru Message Board

New around here

Ok, I just purchased a 1980 4wd DL wagon. I've been poking around a little bit and wondering if the Hatch Patrol is still doin stuff. The website looks like it hasnt been touched sinced last year and there was no contact info. Also, can anyone point me in the right direction for parts around the portland/vancouver area? I am currently in car clubs for other cars, but I decided its time to get off the pavement for a while and go get dirty. Any help is greatly apreciated:) -Jason Allen

Did you just buy the one on ebay for $50?

Unfortunately, if you want to off-road with it (as in lift it, etc), then you are going to need a dual range transmission. The 1980 came with a 1600 (EA71) and a single range 4 speed. The problem you will encounter is that the 1600 can't bolt to a dual range transmission because of differences with the bell-housing. So you will want the EA81 (1800), and a dual range tranny. Might as well be a 5 speed since you have to go to all that work to do it.

Since your in vancouver, you could come along with us sometime - check out our site. We are all in Portland. We off-road at least once a month.

www.atlas4x4.com

I'm sorry to say that unless you have at least 3" of lift, a dual range trans, and some knarly tires, we won't even consider allowing you to bring your rig out on the nasty trails with us (spending hours pulling unlifted rigs out of the mud is no fun for anyone!). But you are welcome to ride along as a passenger in the mean time, and there are plenty of smaller trails you could go through even without a lift. Low range is a must though unless you like replacing clutches.

Contact me, and we can talk about lifts and such - I've got some sources for lifts and parts and such that will give me good deals. And our club has some fabrication ability and what not as well.....

The Hatch Patrol is alive and well too - I'm a member up there as well. It's just that they are too far to go play with often. Especially with a lift and mud tires. Hours on the freeway in a lifted EA81 wagon is not cool.

GD

Yep, i got the one on ebay:grin: . I was planning the ea81 and dual range swap, I got a line on a rolled donor car for $200:) . I have a bit of fabrication background as well. I've been doin alot of reading while I was waiting for the auction to end too,lol. I'm definately wanting the lift. Funds are kinda limited right now,so things will go slow, but i could probably swing the swap real soon. Is there anything major with the swap that I should know about?(ie. electronics,or fuel system) I'm so excited. Thanx for the info. -Jason

yo, since you are considering a (5spd)dual range, you can go with an ea82 motor, its rev happiness goed hand in hand with the 5spd, and in my opinion, ea82's are better with the 5spd than the ea81. some will tell you that 4spd dual range is better, its suitable for the ea81.

just my opinion, i had both ea82 motor and 5spd d/r in an 82 wagon, complete with ea82 suspension as well. peep my website in the sig.

You shouldn't have too much trouble with the swap, but I'm sure something interesting will crop up. For one thing, with a lift you want one of two trannies - thats either the EA82 5 speed D/R, or the 81/82 4 speed D/R. With a lift and big tires the 83+ D/R has horrible gearing for third and fourth gear. The 5 speed's 5th gear is useless as well, but at least you have the other 4 so it's basically a 4 speed.

There will be wireing differences, but as long as you keep the EA71's alternator you shouldn't have much trouble. The 80 has an externally regulated Alt, and the 82+ is internally regulated. Other things you might encounter are differences in the oil pressure, and temp sending units. Might have to use the EA71 units for the guage to read correctly, but I would need to check the FSM specs to be sure on that.

GD

I'm actually unsure what all the donor car has. All i know is that its a wagon newer than 81 and has the 1800. Whatever it has is likely what I'll go with unless other parts fall in my lap,lol. I just cant wait to go play, and im glad I dont have to rallyX my other cars. Thanx for the info guys,I'm enjoying this board already:) . -Jason

well, im not looking to be competitive in RallyX, only have fun. So i want to set it up for off road. Turns out that the donor car is an 85 GL wagon with ea82 of course. I'll talk to the guy tomorrow or next day about getting it. -Jason

The two goals are at odds. You cannot rally-x a rig that's lifted. They simply will not allow you to. Rules ya know. They are scared you will roll it.

EA82's are not good for off-road. The timing belts and especially their tensioners cannot stand the dirt and water. They also tend to have Head Gasket problems, and noisy lifters that can be difficult to get rid of. Breaking a timing belt, or losing a tensioner bearing on the trail would be increddibly bad. I have enough problems with the one bearing I have exposed on my rig - the power steering idler pulley. I've replaced it twice now due to mud and grit from the trail. At least if it goes I can drive with no PS belt and get home.....

The EA82 will fit in the 80 - barely. If you lift it tho, the frame rails will need to be cut and reinforced to clear the engine, as it will drop about 3" lower in the bay. The distributor must be removed from the engine for installation as it nearly does not clear the brake components on the firewall. It can be re-installed once the engine is bolted in place.

You would be much better off finding an EA81 to install. They are pushrod engines (no timeing belts), and do not have the lifter or head gasket problems that the EA82's have. And if you do that, then the only thing from the wreck you can use is the trans, which is not worth $200.

If the transmission is a D/R 5 speed, then that's exactly what you want. You will also need the driveline from the car, or have the one from the 80 lengthened to fit. If you use the one from the 85, it's a two peice affair, and must have the center carrier bearing mount welded to the underside of the car.

GD

I was talkin to my buddy who knows this guy. Might be able to get it for $150. Then I just need to track down an ea81. Is there any suspension stuff from the 85 that would be better to use? To me it would be worth it to get the tranny and driveline out of it for 150 and maybe sell the motor.Thanx. -Jason

I have owned ea71's for years, and have 4 whled them all over the mountains of Az. I agree that without a lift you should stay away from "extreme" places, but don't let them talk you out of going out and challenging lesser rides. I have put alot miles on my stock 4 speed, 1600's. Just use common sense, and get a decent run at your challenge.

IT LIVES!!!!!! Just got it home and figured,what the hay,let's fire it up and see whats wrong with it. Aside from the dead battery from sitting for 2 years,I discover that the ignition switch is a little tempermental and if I held it in just the right place,the ignition would fire. I let it run for about 15 minutes. It runs a little on the ragged side,but I'm sure a tune up would smooth it out atleast a little. The gas that's been sitting in it for all this time probably isnt helping either,lol. Just thought I'd share my excitement :banana: Hopefully I can find some time to get some pics this weekend. Talk at ya guys later. -Jason

Nothing from the 85 suspension wise will fit. If the rear coil-overs are the adjustable type, they could be used for the style of lift we run, but we usually get them at the junk yard for $15 each anyway. Chances are they are not adjustable tho.

The DOJ cups from the rear axles of the 85 can be put onto the axle shafts of the EA81 rear axles to get a little more stretch to the axle. Good for the coil-over rear lift conversion, but again - I usually pay no more than $5 each for them at the junk yard.

You can use the dome light if it wasn't crushed in the roll-over :-p. A $2.50 item if I ever saw one.

The alternator and the starter are the same as EA81 alts and starters, but not the same as the EA71 stuff, so you could use them later if you decided to keep em. Both together wouldn't cost you $50 at the junk yard.

$150 is still a little high, but depending on how far it is from you, and if you have a place to part it out, etc then it might be a good deal. Have to figure your gas and time in there too.

There is a drain plug on the bottom of the gas tank to drain out that nasty old fuel. Put some fresh in there.

Chances are that it needs a carb rebuild. Figure out that ignition switch problem, and get a rebuild kit for that carb. Either that or just dump the engine out and start in with your conversion.

GD